Responding to a check raise with top pair

S

Smee707

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yesterday I met a situation where I was really unsure as to whether I made the right fold. (50nl 6max)
Villain raised the CO and I called on the Button with QK. Blinds fold.
Flop: QJX
Villain checks so I bet 2/3 pot and he raised 3x. I call.
Turn is a blank and he bets 2/3 pot and I fold.

Not sure if this is correct. He could have QJ? probably the only hand that beats me (or a set) otherwise it could be K10, 910, A10. Q10,

How would you respond to this check raise and what do you think his range is?

C

cotta777

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yesterday I met a situation where I was really unsure as to whether I made the right fold. (50nl 6max)
Villain raised the CO and I called on the Button with QK. Blinds fold.
Flop: QJX
Villain checks so I bet 2/3 pot and he raised 3x. I call.
Turn is a blank and he bets 2/3 pot and I fold.

Not sure if this is correct. He could have QJ? probably the only hand that beats me (or a set) otherwise it could be K10, 910, A10. Q10,

How would you respond to this check raise and what do you think his range is?

Theirs alot of hand's that beat KQ, KK,AA, JJ,10,10,KA QJ, K10, Q10, I think hes unlikely to check raise with a drawing hand .
with him betting the turn to a blank he's possibly got like QA or 2 pair and doesn't want to draw a river card also holding a big pair or a set is possible.

I would sometimes call the turn in rare scenarios but not that often, folding is fine

K

kmichaels

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, he raised you first. He showed strength first. Another thing to analyse is if the flop have draws. If not he might slow played the hand, if the board have some draws like to make a flush he might try to semi-bluff you right there and try to win the pot. There´s just to possibilities. He had some draw or he slow played the hand.

Blobweird123

Blobweird123

CC's very own Dead Head
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Theirs alot of hand's that beat KQ, KK,AA, JJ,10,10,KA QJ, K10, Q10, I think hes unlikely to check raise with a drawing hand .
with him betting the turn to a blank he's possibly got like QA or 2 pair and doesn't want to draw a river card also holding a big pair or a set is possible.

I would sometimes call the turn in rare scenarios but not that often, folding is fine

Umm what? TT/KT/AK/QT dont beat KQ here lol.

S

sillymunchie

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
does he normally make this move?
what does he do it with, if you had a read on him that he check raises the nuts, or sets, then great fold
if you have a read on him that he check raises to find out where he is in the hand then you laid it down prety badly.

we werent at the table when it happened all we can tell from what you have said is "he played his hand perfectly, because believe you me, he probably knew where he was in the hand, and he applied pressure at the right time to instill fear into you" not saying he wasnt beating you, not saying he didnt have a set, and not saying you werent ahead.

but theres no way we can tell you if you were ahead or not

S

Smee707

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
does he normally make this move?
what does he do it with, if you had a read on him that he check raises the nuts, or sets, then great fold
if you have a read on him that he check raises to find out where he is in the hand then you laid it down prety badly.

we werent at the table when it happened all we can tell from what you have said is "he played his hand perfectly, because believe you me, he probably knew where he was in the hand, and he applied pressure at the right time to instill fear into you" not saying he wasnt beating you, not saying he didnt have a set, and not saying you werent ahead.

but theres no way we can tell you if you were ahead or not

I had no reads at the time. I agree it could have been a play by him but the bet on the turn was strong which makes me more inclined to think I am beat.

In regards to previous comments do people check raise KK, AA, sets here?
Sets is plausible but I think he bets AA and KK and check calls anything like 1010, 99, QJ maybe.

S

ScottishMatt

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i thought he meant the flop was qjx - x as in a ten ? so kq top pair with with straight draws

"x" is most commonly used to describe a rag card. For example - "I raise any Ax on the button".

In the OP it is going to be a low card that's ranking is irrelevant, like a 5 or 6.

H

heAdstroMan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd call the turn, call some rivers

P

Phoenix14

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dunno dude, you should watch him play. I classify players like "russians" (from live play) who are too aggressive and should always be called, grandmas who are like people who are terrified to play, pros who will always bet reasonable (and *slightly larger then usual) amounts with good hands but rarely go all in, It sounds like you had either a russian or a pro. It's hard to say from this honestly.

babydrago9

babydrago9

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Usually when they check raise instead of c betting, their range is pretty polarized. Players like this if they hit top pair top kicker/ a set of anything won't bet so you won't fold, so allow you to bet. Or instead they will just raise with air thinking you tried to steal the pot. I usually decide if playing online whether its air or not from past situations, if he's new to the table or you've only seen a few hands, i'd fold. There's no point getting frisky overvaluing your hand; if the players not bluffing he always has the best hand in this spot.

H

haihai

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Eh, hard to say...

I mean depending on the skill of the players, I can definitely see a pretty decent skilled player raising with something like a K10 / 10 9 suited in the CO and check raising with an open ended to represent something just in case they miss. With a high skilled player, raising in the CO with almost any two card when there hasn't been any action isn't that out of the ordinary. He could've had nothing at all and was just making a play. Calling from the button preflop when the only action is from the CO could make you look weak.

Honestly, I would've probably repopped it preflop with something like a KQ on the button and everyone folded but the CO.

C

chauncey274

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Against a villian I dont have a read on I think I would have done the same thing. Unless its an overly aggressive opponent I'd say his range beats your hand. Even if you called him down and happenned to win I think in the long run against a typical villian you lose money if you continue calling down anything more than just the reraise.

R

RNG

Enthusiast
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
You're better at checking back the flop. And i dont mind folding on the turn.

Vhyre

Vhyre

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have folded there too. Many times Ive made the mistake of not doing so in similar situations. better to keep your stack for the next good hand.