ranges, ranges and more ranges; why i'm so bad at poker (possible tl;dr)

micromachine

micromachine

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh God I think my 3betting game must need a lot of work cos I'm completely lost here lol :eek: Some basic questions:

1) I thought it was generally considered better to 3bet a polarized OOP range and a merged IP range giving you a bigger OOP range (so you can get value from your premiums) and allowing you to play more value hands when IP. But you have it the other way round :confused:

2) With you polarized IP 3b range you include lower SCs but not higher ones? If you are folding all SCs to a 4bet or shove then why not include the higher ones instead? And why K5s and not K8s?

3) Similarly, why 98s and T9s in you 3bet flat OOP range but not QJs :questionm

OMGITSOVER9K

OMGITSOVER9K

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh God I think my 3betting game must need a lot of work cos I'm completely lost here lol :eek: Some basic questions:

1) I thought it was generally considered better to 3bet a polarized OOP range and a merged IP range giving you a bigger OOP range (so you can get value from your premiums) and allowing you to play more value hands when IP. But you have it the other way round :confused:

2) With you polarized IP 3b range you include lower SCs but not higher ones? If you are folding all SCs to a 4bet or shove then why not include the higher ones instead? And why K5s and not K8s?

3) Similarly, why 98s and T9s in you 3bet flat OOP range but not QJs :questionm

1) because regs assume you have a polarised range and so adjust by flatting a pretty wide range IP and outplaying you postflop.

and a lot of regs are weighted towards air in steal spots (where most of this will happen) so when we have loads of air OOP we lose more pots than we win imo.

2) I think I can flat 98s vs BTN/CO opens somewhat profitably, more so than 43s which is why we choose to put it in our bluff range.

I also think K8s+ is a defend in the BB vs wide reg steal ranges and is too good to turn into a bluff.

3) QJs is dominated more often when we flop TP etc.. and with T9s we can raise gutters on 863s boards + regs with polarised ranges will barrel boards that hit us and give up on the ones that don't with this range imo.

micromachine

micromachine

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OK cool thanks man, that makes sense. So with regards to the IP or OOP polarised range you're doing the opposite of what they expect you to.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Subbin' in - good discussion and points itt.