Funtast

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Hi there.

My question is about mono or twotone and semi connected boards.

Examples: 8sThJh, TsJhKc, 7c8cTd etc.

Situation: You raise from late position and the BB calls. You bet the flop 30-50% pot and the BB raises 2,5-3x.
Which hands would you continue, which would you raise and which would you muck?

I´m really having trouble at these boards and I want to know if its just "bad setups" or if I´m simply playing this situation badly.

Thank you.

E

EarnDAStack

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
All three of those flops should have different c-betting strategies which would then in turn effect what hands you should be defending vs a check raise.

In general range betting the flop works the best on disconnected boards where the BB doesn't have a lot of hands with much equity so they will have to fold a high % of the time. None of these flops really satisfy this condition.

KsJdTc is a flop that we probably could range bet for half pot, but your AQ KK JJ TT and Q9o advantage means we can also bet BIG with a more polarized range as well. (Range betting might still be best at lower stakes. It's easier for us to implement and opposing players will still over fold significantly)

JsTs8d I don't have a solve for but you'll probably want to bet small at a mid frequency as we still benefit from some fold equity, but lots of villains hands still have equity as well so we want to fold out the trash cheaply and not big too large of a pot vs his hands that do have lots of equity and continue.

Td8s7s we should probably be checking a lot and betting large when we do bet. BB's equity tends to catch up a lot more on boards like this so we don't want to be putting money in the pot unselectively.

I would recommend checking out something like Flopzilla, plugging in the ranges you expect each player to have preflop, and then go through different flops and see what happens to the equity on different flop types and from different opening position's ranges. Or if you have the resources you could make your own flop reports in a solver or get GTOWizard and use the ones they already have to develop your flop strategy.

From there it will be pretty easy to find out what combos you need to continue with based on how much equity they have and what other properties they have for future streets.

But to answer in general if I bet small and face a small check raise I'm continuing anything with equity. Overpairs, SD FDs even some back door draws, some high cards and board pairs would have to call pretty often too.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hi there.

My question is about mono or twotone and semi connected boards.

Examples: 8sThJh, TsJhKc, 7c8cTd etc.

Situation: You raise from late position and the BB calls. You bet the flop 30-50% pot and the BB raises 2,5-3x.
Which hands would you continue, which would you raise and which would you muck?

I´m really having trouble at these boards and I want to know if its just "bad setups" or if I´m simply playing this situation badly.

Thank you.
It depends on which hands you are opening. Sometimes we are going to be smashing this flop texture and sometimes we are dead. Consider that we are opening at max 15% range from UTG and consider which range BB is calling down with.