Problem with playing vs villain's nut flush draw

B

Beasty2k

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Twice yday, at 10NL and 25NL, I had two different villain's call my flop AI, him holding a nut flush draw including an overcard A. First was in a 3-bet pot and I was in position, I 3-bet jammed the flop with TPGK (I had my reasons for stacking here). Villain had Axs, called and hit is flush.

Second I had set of J's in SB on JKx board with 2 spades, villain in BB. He 3-bet pre, I called. I have been experimenting with overbets so I over-jammed this flop and got called with Axs again, and he hit.

What is the general conception here, am I doing the right thing if I put villain on a nut flush or straight draw? I hold no blockers. Do we call the flop raise and jam any non-spade turn instead?

I guess it's close, but personally in villain's shoes I would probably fold to a jam vs proper aggression, but happy to jam myself with 4 to nut flush considering fold equity.

Thanks!

LD1977

LD1977

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
2nd case is obviously correct, 1st questionable (he actually has great equity due to the A).

B

Beasty2k

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
2nd case is obviously correct, 1st questionable (he actually has great equity due to the A).
So we are basically always (in villain's shoes) trying to get it in with a nut flush draw? We are calling overbets on flop?

Goes for both 1 and 2, as villain held A on both occasions.

LD1977

LD1977

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
His position depends on your stackoff range. If he thinks you have a pair then yes he can stack off with nut FD on the flop.

If you only stack off set+, then he shouldn't call a shove on the flop.

B

Beasty2k

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
His position depends on your stackoff range. If he thinks you have a pair then yes he can stack off with nut FD on the flop.
Really? I ran this quickly:

We hold KhQc
Villain holds A4s

Board is Ks9s7x.

We have 55.2%, villain has 44.8%. Is he really correct in calling a shove? Pot is Shoving I understand as his FE increases, but calling?

LD1977

LD1977

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yup. You said it was 3bet pot and he cbet, then you shoved. Loads of dead money makes it a call.

C

cpgd176

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally, I don't like either of your shoves. With the TPGK hand you are either marginally ahead or way behind. Neither is good. If villain has two overs with the nut flush draw, you are behind (percentage wise) and he is almost never folding. I like a call and re-evaluate the turn. is the turn is a blank (non spade under card to your TP), then I like check raising this street to get it in if you still feel you are ahead with TP. But check calling every street is also good if no scare cards come.

Your set of J's hand, I don't like the shove either. In this case you are either way ahead or marginally ahead. You are in great shape here. But by shoving you really eliminate hands that will pay you off on late streets. Your shove now limits villain's calling range to Kx hands, flush draws, and maybe QT. Of these three possibilities, you are most likely only getting a call from nut flush draws and strong Kx hands. Again, calling is good hear as there are many cards on turn that villain will continue to pay off with he Kx/flush draw hands. Even if a spade does peel, the pot is fairly small and you still have decent equity to call and make a full house.

Overall, I prefer calling flops with both hands and re-evaluating the turn. You can then play your hands strong on non scare cards, and slow down if scare cards arrive.

Full Flush Poker