Pokers "Fear Factor"

EagleEyeKing

EagleEyeKing

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am in a losing streak and need help. i was doing very well turning the $20 i deposited into $1800 in just a week until I jumped on the 5/10 tables and went allin with 2 pair, AQ, i got called with a 10 5 on the turn, the board was AQJ4, i went allin for $400 bucks mind you, which was 3 times the pot size and this donk calls me with a 10 5, omg, anyway, he hits a K on the river to give him a str8. This was about a month ago, ever since I have not been able to make any money and I think the reason is the "Fear Factor" of losing money, or that I suck or that I'm going to get donked on for huge amounts of money and get sucked out by 1 outters on the river. I need a little motivation to get my game back on track. Any help would be great.

aliengenius

aliengenius

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
turning the $20 i deposited into $1800 in just a week

But can you turn lead into gold or water into wine?

Seriously, there is no way could do this without overplaying remotely reasonable bankroll requirements. Use the search function on this site to find some BRM threads to read.

Also, you may want to stop playing for awhile and do some studying-- betting three times the size of the pot in that situation was pretty horrible play to begin with.

EagleEyeKing

EagleEyeKing

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
But wouldnt you say that his call was pretty horrible? My objective was to get him off his hand, he just made a donk call. An yes I overplayed a lot to get to the 1800, I was money hungry and it bit me in the ars in the end. Now I am sticking to some BRM rules and it is workig out better. I'm not making money as fast as before, but when I suffer a badbeat or get a donk calling me, it's for a minimal amount. BRM is definitley a safer bet.

aliengenius

aliengenius

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
But wouldnt you say that his call was pretty horrible? My objective was to get him off his hand, he just made a donk call.

It doesn't matter. You can only control YOUR play. You should be thinking "what did I do wrong, what can I do better next time".

Also, you are showing a fundamental misunderstanding of poker here (on a lot of levels too).

Why would you complain about getting that call? You were LUCKY to get that call. Most other aces that you had beat would fold, and usually you would only get called by the already made straight. In other words, your ridiculous bet would normally drive out all the hands that you can beat, while getting you calls only from hands that have you crushed.

Don't be results oriented-- just because you lost that hand that time doesn't mean you don't want that call.

The goal in poker isn't to win pots/hands, it's to win MONEY. Making such a giant bet will (normally) win you the pot right there when your opponent folds, but it will cost you money in the long term. Until you can understand these concepts, I wouldn't go depositing any significant sums, or playing beyond the micro-limits.

EagleEyeKing

EagleEyeKing

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well i havent pulled a stunt like that since then, i learned better. instead ive gotten a bit too passive, im trying to work on that too.

Chris_TC

Chris_TC

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am in a losing streak and need help. i was doing very well turning the $20 i deposited into $1800 in just a week until I jumped on the 5/10 tables and went allin with 2 pair, AQ, i got called with a 10 5 on the turn, the board was AQJ4, i went allin for $400 bucks mind you, which was 3 times the pot size and this donk calls me with a 10 5, omg,
Let me get this straight. You're whining because you lost half a stack at $5/$10 as a big favorite?
What the hell are you doing playing $5/$10 if that freaks you out? Half a stack is nothing. And the fact that your BRM sucks major a$$ has been pointed out already.

EagleEyeKing

EagleEyeKing

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well i failed to mention that I lost the rest of it later after that beat. I am surrently in the middle of starting over, starting from $30, I'm up to $50 so far in a day, not as fast as before but I'm more comfortable.

nymets14450

nymets14450

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
straight from dan harrington's nl hold'em: you make money by limiting your mistakes and forcing your opponents to make more mistakes. you have to think overall. the guy had four outs, you got your money in, but he drew out on you. theres nothing you can do except hope that you play with him again because that was a very poor call.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
LISTEN to what these posters are saying, EEK. You need to read up on bankroll management and start applying it - it doesn't matter how well you play or how poorly your opponents play, if you are playing at those tables with that bankroll, you're bound to go broke.

Try the articles section at the top right; should be a good place to start.