Poker Exam

M

MpW730

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It really depends on what kind of people you're playing with.....if they're all tight, raising would be good to knock mostly everyone out

Calling would be a bit more sneaky and stupider especially if you're playing with donks who will call with K3 or J 7 sooted....

tosborn

tosborn

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This thread confirmed the online-poker-agression-syndorome. That is not to say that this hand can't be played with aggression. It even should be some of the time. I'll give the Pro's and Con's to calling a hand like this.

Pro's:
1) Calling disguises your hand preflop and allows you to make some plays postflop that you wouldn't be able to otherwise. Such as sem-bluffing that you made the straight already, or got your set.

2)You have fold equity post flop. I can see the flop cheaply or just get out of the way if the board is scary and we have 4-way action.

3)If there is a raise we can still call or reraise using our reads.

Con's:
1)We haven't done any pot building and the flop may be favorable.

2)By limping this pot may become a 4-way+ and this would limit our ability to play the hand aggressively from OOP after the flop.

What do we gain by raising here? Sure, I don't want to get in a 4-way. But is that all we will be gaining. Please criticize all you want.

I may be playing too tight from early position.

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This thread confirmed the online-poker-agression-syndorome. That is not to say that this hand can't be played with aggression. It even should be some of the time. I'll give the Pro's and Con's to calling a hand like this.

Pro's:
1) Calling disguises your hand preflop and allows you to make some plays postflop that you wouldn't be able to otherwise. Such as sem-bluffing that you made the straight already, or got your set.

2)You have fold equity post flop. I can see the flop cheaply or just get out of the way if the board is scary and we have 4-way action.

3)If there is a raise we can still call or reraise using our reads.

Con's:
1)We haven't done any pot building and the flop may be favorable.

2)By limping this pot may become a 4-way+ and this would limit our ability to play the hand aggressively from OOP after the flop.

What do we gain by raising here? Sure, I don't want to get in a 4-way. But is that all we will be gaining. Please criticize all you want.

I may be playing too tight from early position.

I don't know how much limping disguises the hand as when someone limps UTG I'm automatically thinking some kind of pocket pair, although TT would be at the top of that range.

And by limping I'm worried about letting the blinds, and other limpy players, play with 95 and hitting two pair on a 952 flop where I am sitting with an overpair.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
OMG, withawedge was gonna post when he/she got home. No post, home from where? SHould I imagine sirens, and flashing lights?

alexanderwoo1

alexanderwoo1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would raise 50% of the time and 50% limp in, in that position.

C

CallMeBaby

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
why does everything I learned go out of the window at those stakes

To me pocket tens arent good enough to play in early position at those stakes. But then what do I know. I would never be found near those stakes for the next decade. Anytime I have ever tried to limp in UTG at $1/$2 dollar stakes, I had to be prepared to face off against 4xBB minimum, so I learned very early to either raise or fold. Ahhhh just kick me back to the micro tables... why did I even post this. :eek:

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Fresh thoughts

The problems with TT UTG is that there is so much play in TT, against not quite (close tho) as much risk. You can almost expect a race to develop.

Somehow I would very much like to see a flop. WIth a decent stack, calling is no problem. This is where the table conditions come in, could a raise likely take the pot right there, etc, etc.

Safe is call, adventure is raise. How are we feeling tonight?