Playing too tight

Ronaldadio

Ronaldadio

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Guys :hello:

I have been reading and watching poker recently and I wonder if I`m playing too tight?

Can u guys tell me how I can `gamble` more - what do these people mean?

They are suggesting that if u gamble more in MTT you will have a bigger stack for the latter stages.

I find if I gamble I get caught!!! (Stealing the blinds, going all in with AQ, JJ, and others)

What do u guys think?

Ronaldadio

Egon Towst

Egon Towst

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There`s more than one viable way to play MTTs, depends on personal preference and style.

In freerolls and low buy-in tournies, a lot of wild play goes on and it`s perfectly possible to sit back, play premium hands only and watch the donkeys take each other out. I find that, with average luck, this approach will usually put you in the money (though not normally very high).

If you`re more ambitious and want to reach the final table, watch the other players closely. Take notes. Don`t get into any all-ins during the first level or so. By the time the worst of the wild play settles, you should know who is only playing top hands and who is taking chances. Avoid the first group unless you`re holding the nuts, but take on the second whenever you have decent cards.

It`s an old poker cliche, play the player not the cards, and there`s a kernel of truth in it. Just don`t take it too far and play any old rags because you think the opponent is a fish. Too tight may sometimes be a problem but too loose always is and at a 10 player table the worst player gets dealt the best hand 10 per cent of the time.

XXIII

XXIII

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play how you are comfortable.

Never a great idea to play a different way then you are comfortable. But if you want to 'Gamble' just extend the number of hands you are willing to play.

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing how you're comfortable is good, but this may require expanding your actual comfort zone. Some poker players just play too tight to be really successful in MTTs, and if they only play how they're comfortable while expanding their hand selection, they still may not be comfortable enough to be aggressive with their betting. How do you get comfortable with a more aggressive style? Simple. You win with that style. If you think you're playing too tightly, try to fix it gradually. As was pointed out, you don't want to just leap out of your comfort zone, or you probably won't have much success.

Beriac

Beriac

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One great stat to follow, though not necessarily to be a slave to, is the % of the time that you see the flop from non-blind positions at a full table. Experts suggest you should be seeing the flop anywhere from 10-30% depending on your style -- a loose player like Gus Hansen might be on the 30% side of things, a tight player might be closer to 10%.

There is a large range that can be profitable depending on your style and post-flop abilities, but if you're at 5% or 45%, you may want to make some changes.

Effexor

Effexor

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tight / loose, it all depends on position. Playing AJo UTG is loose imo, but playing AJo on the button when everyone folds to you is a completely different animal. Also, loose doesn't mean ALL-IN ! You can loosen up and steal blinds without going all in and risking everything on one hand. There is such a thing as acceptable losses. If you raise the blinds and win 2 of 3 you are still coming out ahead. If you have some mediocre hand like KJ late position and attempt a blind steal, you still have a chance at hitting the flop for a fairly good hand.

It's all relative to your position and what people before you have done, and what the people after you are expected to do.

I'd suggest watching one of Chuck's videos for a good idea of how to switch gears and "loosen up" later on.

R

revenoff

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My suggestion is to find a list where all the hands are ranked, play the top %15-20 of the hands.

These cards are all very good and, so feel free to be agrressive.

This is just my opinion after reading some ebooks that say tight-aggressive is the optimal play style, loose passive the worst.

R

revenoff

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My humble suggestion is to find a list where all the hands are ranked and play the top %15-20.

My sources claim Tight-aggressive to be the best play-style and Loose-passive to be the worst.

Try pickin up some poker books(or ebooks), they've been extremely helpful to me.

T

thechern

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
revenoff said:
My sources claim Tight-aggressive to be the best play-style and Loose-passive to be the worst.

My sources... what sources might you have lol.

Ronaldadio

Ronaldadio

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Chucks videos?

I`m not sure what u mean mate, can u expand?