Playing Pocket 2s Heads Up

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Say you're heads up, approximately even in chips with your opponent at 10,000 each. Blinds are 400/800. You're on the button (meaning you're in the small blind). You look down at 22. It's a pocket pair, so is this pretty much an auto-raise to 3x the BB? Say you make this raise and opponent calls; the flop is Q T 7 with two hearts, something that seems like it definitely could have hit your opponent. Opp. is first to act and bets 1600 (1/3 of the pot). I'm guessing this would be an easy fold, in general, barring any strong reads? New scenario: opponent checks. Do you bet and try to take it down?

Obviously some of this stuff is read dependent. These scenarios aren't necessarily the important part of this post, just maybe something to generate some insight from people on how to play 22.

I've just found I really don't like the hand (or pocket 3s or 4s, for that matter) heads up, with high blinds. You're unlikely to hit your 2, and if you don't, you pretty much might as well just be bluffing with a 27. I mean, if your opponent hits anything he's ahead of you and you need to bluff him out, and if he didn't hit, he'll fold. Just looking for any information or suggestions as to how you play these very small pocket pairs heads up. Any input is greatly appreciated by me. Thanks!

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If your opponent checks, you need to bet. You don't have a strong hand but your opponent doesn't know that yet. Bet and make him think you hit the flop. If he/she either calls/raises, then you're beat. You have to be aggressive when your playing heads up.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Say you're heads up, approximately even in chips with your opponent at 10,000 each. Blinds are 400/800. You're on the button (meaning you're in the small blind). You look down at 22. It's a pocket pair, so is this pretty much an auto-raise to 3x the BB? Automatic raise; 2-4 BBs depending on my reads on opponent and his style Say you make this raise and opponent calls; the flop is Q T 7 with two hearts, something that seems like it definitely could have hit your opponent. Opp. is first to act and bets 1600 (1/3 of the pot). I'm guessing this would be an easy fold, in general, barring any strong reads? Yep New scenario: opponent checks. Do you bet and try to take it down? Yep

If you aren't C-betting, then you are losing the opportunity to push 78 or KT off of the hand

Obviously some of this stuff is read dependent. Agreed; for example I may not C-bet that flop if I knew my opponent to be a trapper These scenarios aren't necessarily the important part of this post, just maybe something to generate some insight from people on how to play 22.

I've just found I really don't like the hand (or pocket 3s or 4s, for that matter) heads up, with high blinds. You're unlikely to hit your 2, and if you don't, you pretty much might as well just be bluffing with a 27. I mean, if your opponent hits anything he's ahead of you and you need to bluff him out, and if he didn't hit, he'll fold. Just looking for any information or suggestions as to how you play these very small pocket pairs heads up. Any input is greatly appreciated by me. Thanks!

See bold :)

I raise 'em PF, and c-bet the flop. If my opponent shows strength, then I act accordingly (check/fold, usually). Like you said, your play HU depends heavily on your reads, so my play would change with respect to my reads on my opponent, but that's generally what I'm doing. Any pocket pair, including 22, is strong heads up. Considering that neither you or your opponent will hit the flop the majority of the time, then you most likely will have the best hand on the flop, and can take it down with a c-bet. Remember that certain flops (like your example) hit hands harder than others, and you need to make sure you aren't C-betting into a 9TJ suited type flop.