Playing AA

O

oneearthjc

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
New player here. I'm looking for some thoughts on playing AA. I know this is a VERY general question, but I'm just looking for some thoughts.

Preflop: Normal 3-5x big blind? Bigger? I know I don't want everyone to fold, but I also want to keep the marginal/weak hands that could come back to haunt me out. Right?

After the flop: In situations where there are flush/straight draws on the board I never know whether a really big bet is a good idea to make it expensive for my opponent to call or if a really big bet makes it worth while for my opponent to call.

Thanks in advance. Good advice on this site.

fcumred

fcumred

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Me personally, I work on the basis that I want to win the hand and the size of what I win isnt the all important factor.

I would rather win 75 chips than go for bust and lose everything.

So I would lead in with 5 times the big blind. That alone should be enough to warn him off. If however he does call then you need to make sure that you dont overplay the AA if you havent hit the set. He may have not only a flush draw, he may have hit two pair. You go in like a bull in a china shop and he wipes you out.

Depending on how the player normally plays dictates how I play it. If he normally calls anything and everything then I would not hit him with an all in post flop if theres no flush or straight possible or a pair on the board. He may just have struck lucky. OK you may only win the pot, but its better than sod all or even worse losing your whole stack.

If he is a tight player then alarm bells would be ringing as to why he calls knowing that you, as a tight player have raised. He will know you have a good hand and thinks he can outdo you. With that in mind I would only go for push if I had hit the set. Otherwise I play very cagily. Medium sized bet if he raises then stack. If he calls check. If he folds your laughing.