Playing 5 Card Draw

MrDaMan

MrDaMan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been playing some of the 2 to 4 dollar 5 Card Draw tournaments on poker stars lately. I actually just cashed in one, I'm curious if there are any other draw players in CC.

I haven't read any books on draw so I've been pretty much learning as I go. Position is still important as is type limit/no limit. You need more than A/K or even a big pocket pair to even call the blind, 2 pair or better is the most often shown down hands, rarely will A/A win alone.

Draw possibilities are a big factor, if your dealt 2 pair it's the weakest raising hand/draw 1, dealt 3 of a kind is pretty strong for raising. Drawing 1 card for outside straights and flush draws are tempting but rarely come so its worth folding these draws against raises or high blinds.

I'm looking for high paired starting hands, A/A/K.2.4, toss the 2/4 and hope to draw an A or a K,

Dealt hands as high as J/J/4/7/10 should be thrown away, you might play this hand in position with no raises if it were J/J/K/7/10 toss the 7/10 and hope to draw another J or a K.

I'm starting to find this game fascinating, I used to play it a lot in my youth but didn't have a clue about folding and waiting for optimal hands/draws.

Anyone else here with 5 Card Draw experience? Any good books on the subject? Links? Starting hands, tips, tricks, opinions?

bob_tiger

bob_tiger

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol im gonna be honest and say i try to play 5 card draw just for fun with fake chips and i suck at it more than anything else its my worst game and im glad they dont have it in the horse because horse is one of my favorite games. also im going to try playing it again sometime and try to wait for hands like u posted. gl and thx

skoldpadda

skoldpadda

Caveman Eye Surgeon
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play some low limit SNGs on PS.