Player Scouting Suggestions?

B

billybob16

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Without a doubt my favorite part of online poker is the ability to scout out players in advance. In the game I play most regularly (NLHE SNG) there are about 30 or 40 regulars that play that game/price range everyday. So when I sit down at a table and I have notes on the play styles of two or three of those players, it's a major advantage.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should be looking for when I scout players? Currently I look at how many hands they play, what their typical raises are, if they play tight or loose, passive or aggressive, things like that. I also record a few specific situations like how often they fold in the BB when raised or what hands they will push all-in with. Any other ideas as to things I can look for?

PokerVic

PokerVic

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My player notes are usually quite short. (the most common is a single word, and would be blocked by the chat filter :)) Once I determine that a player is either a regular or strong player, then I start taking more detailed notes (limp-raised with AA, usually C-bets, etc)

The PokerAce HUD for Poker Tracker is great too, because it shows me some of the player's important stats right on the table.

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Without a doubt my favorite part of online poker is the ability to scout out players in advance.

Ye, without doubt thats the best part. There is nothing beter than waking up in the morning and thinking, ill scout some players today :confused:

aliengenius

aliengenius

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here is a notes thread that you might find helpful.

L

lorrilyn

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
becareful of player notes

Notes don't always work with online players. I know my husband plays on my accounts, and we play very differently.......I'm good and he's not.:rolleyes:

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ye, without doubt thats the best part. There is nothing beter than waking up in the morning and thinking, ill scout some players today :confused:

lol it's what keeps ME getting up every morning.

L

lorrilyn

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is the reason you won't find me at the tables, (except freerolls), everytime I put money in , it's gone when I go to play. But you have to luv'em, after all we do have to share the same house, bathroom.....well...I'm sure u get the idea.:D But be very careful when taking notes becuse of more than 1 person playing on that account. I would play the lower end money tables($1-$2) and win 200- 300 on the tables I was at when starting with about 35 in cash. He would go the the 10-20 tables and raises with crap like 2-6 off suit. When you can't see a person you can never really tell if they are who they say they are. Its also the reason that I now play at purePlay most of the time. He can only lose 20 bucks a month on me.:smile:

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is the reason you won't find me at the tables, (except freerolls), everytime I put money in , it's gone when I go to play. But you have to luv'em, after all we do have to share the same house, bathroom.....well...I'm sure u get the idea.:D But be very careful when taking notes becuse of more than 1 person playing on that account. I would play the lower end money tables($1-$2) and win 200- 300 on the tables I was at when starting with about 35 in cash. He would go the the 10-20 tables and raises with crap like 2-6 off suit. When you can't see a person you can never really tell if they are who they say they are. Its also the reason that I now play at purePlay most of the time. He can only lose 20 bucks a month on me.:smile:

I'm not sure this is legal, at least at pokerstars where I play. So although I'm sure it happens, I think the heavy majority are the only ones playing on their account and notes can be used for an advantage.

B

billybob16

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

Well the thing is, I'm a statistics nut. I love the concept of being able to gather bulk data to give yourself an advantage. What can I say, I was born with a spreadsheet in my hand.

Thanks for the link aliengenius, that thread was very helpful