PL vs NL at Micro Stakes

darkshark

darkshark

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi everyone,

I've been playing .10nl on FTP, and did so for the vast amount of the time. However, when a bad beat lost me almost $10 all-in in a nl game with pocket aces to a flush on the river I looked at my PokerOffice stats and realized that even with a LOT less hands, I'd earned about the same amount of money.

I think this is because I can't get fooled due to inexperience and go all-in, and also it's easier to encourage people to bet by betting the pot instead of lots of $$$.

It's harder to bully, sure, but since I don't do that all that much anyway, are there any other major downsides to PL hold em?

SAH89

SAH89

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you have the nuts, you can only bet the pot...that's a major downside.

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I play, the only time it affects me ever is when I try to squeeze preflop and bet more than pot. Now granted at 200nl you're not getting many people to call if you just shove when you have the nuts. But say you're in the BB with AA (or hand you're bluffing with) and have a raiser and a caller. Say they raised 3x, so pot is now 7.5x. 2x for you to call makes it 9.5x and pot would make the pot 19x, meaning you can raise to 11.5x. At 10nl this is $1.15. If I got a raise to 30c and a call, I'd want to jack it up to like $1.25 or $1.30 if not even a bit more.