Online play

M

marlonksmith

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I need to ask this question as i preparing to start on micro stakes, i've read alot about how important selection is, i know this means selecting the correct stakes to play.

Does this also mean, view the play on any given table for X amount of time assessing the play before joining the table..... sorry if this is a ridic question lol :confused::confused::confused:

J

jadestem

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Without any other information to go off of, I just look for tables that have a decent average pot size. If the average pot is too small it is likely a table full of nits and you won't get any action. I also look at the hands/hour because I don't want to play on a slow table. Once you play for awhile you will start to recognize people at the tables. Then you might want to base your selection on avoiding/targeting certain players.

M

marlonksmith

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Without any other information to go off of, I just look for tables that have a decent average pot size. If the average pot is too small it is likely a table full of nits and you won't get any action. I also look at the hands/hour because I don't want to play on a slow table. Once you play for awhile you will start to recognize people at the tables. Then you might want to base your selection on avoiding/targeting certain players.

Hi jade,

Thanks for your response, the average pot size seems like a good one to go off and hands per hour. Do you personally log info as you play and profile each player if you don’t mind me asking

J

jadestem

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi jade,

Thanks for your response, the average pot size seems like a good one to go off and hands per hour. Do you personally log info as you play and profile each player if you don’t mind me asking

No, I use DriveHUD currently. It is cheap and useful enough for my purposes. There may be better HUDs out there, but DriveHUD tracks VPIP, PFR, 3bet %, and tracks hand histories and that is mostly what I care about.

sedlacekj

sedlacekj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I need to ask this question as i preparing to start on micro stakes, i've read alot about how important selection is, i know this means selecting the correct stakes to play.

Does this also mean, view the play on any given table for X amount of time assessing the play before joining the table..... sorry if this is a ridic question lol :confused::confused::confused:

If you are new to small stakes, start at the lowest tier, until you can confidently win there, and then move up. The small stakes are frequented by the pros for practice, so beware of them. Once you recognise them by their average winnings, avoid getting into tricky pots with them. Pretty much, if you see a player who sits at ten or more tables and has 3 times the maximum playing cash, that is a pro who has been putting out villains left and right.

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I used to believe that was very important, assessing players before hand
I used to pick the biggest avg pot on cash table selection, though a tighter field suits my play better.
So many things are important, but everyone needs something different:cool:

KristaK

KristaK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No, I use DriveHUD currently. It is cheap and useful enough for my purposes. There may be better HUDs out there, but DriveHUD tracks VPIP, PFR, 3bet %, and tracks hand histories and that is mostly what I care about.

i love Drive Hud!!! agree that is it way more than i need or can understand

M

marlonksmith

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are new to small stakes, start at the lowest tier, until you can confidently win there, and then move up. The small stakes are frequented by the pros for practice, so beware of them. Once you recognise them by their average winnings, avoid getting into tricky pots with them. Pretty much, if you see a player who sits at ten or more tables and has 3 times the maximum playing cash, that is a pro who has been putting out villains left and right.

Thanks for that pointer, are these things all easy to notice without a HUD? Because there are a lot of tables so to check them all is abit tricky isn’t it? And do you mean 3 times the maximum buy in at the table?? Thanks again :D:D

i love Drive Hud!!! agree that is it way more than i need or can understand

- is it a monthly subscription or a one off payment ?

Last edited by a moderator:
U

UncleConRon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion

I don't think there is a need to check to see a table and the players. You know witch hole crds are do to be won with you. How can other players beat that. If you havent won with slick in a while, for example, you know slick is do to win with you. Most of the time the decision is right.

N

NotNegreanu

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Cash Games

No, your question is not ridiculous and the answer to it is no. With the amount of people that are playing low stakes and constantly leaving and going its almost futile to try to get reads on these low stakes, just play solid poker. If you were thinking of jumping into higher stakes and had no info on anyone then I would definitely recommend scoping around for a couple minutes nut if you're:D out of the micro stakes then I doubt you'd need advice from me lol.

M

marlonksmith

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No, your question is not ridiculous and the answer to it is no. With the amount of people that are playing low stakes and constantly leaving and going its almost futile to try to get reads on these low stakes, just play solid poker. If you were thinking of jumping into higher stakes and had no info on anyone then I would definitely recommend scoping around for a couple minutes nut if you're:D out of the micro stakes then I doubt you'd need advice from me lol.

Thanks for the reply mate, that does make sense as there is alot of tables on the micros.. Do you personally use a HUD when playing if you dont mind me asking

N

NotNegreanu

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
HUD

Thanks for the reply mate, that does make sense as there is alot of tables on the micros.. Do you personally use a HUD when playing if you dont mind me asking

I just play for fun so I don't use a HUD seeing as you have to pay for it, but im pretty sure there are some decent cheap options out there that will show you the most important stats such as their pre flop raises, 3 bet percentage, fold to 3 bet percentage, c bet, and fold to c bet, so if you're looking to get a HUD look for one with those stats, hope this help.

J

JeetsMcskeets89

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Online cashgame

Does online cash game seem rigged to anyone else is it best to stay away I see way to many setup hands and suckouts I see them live but 20x more online

Datdude1

Datdude1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion the bigger the stake at the table the bigger the risk so it should demand observing awhile before you jump inin any cash game. -look before you leap-.

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
If you can choose the table at which to sit for the game, of course you need to use it. So far, the "fighters for the poker ecology" have not yet canceled this opportunity.

G

Goonsquad1217

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't have a HUD. I play cash more than online. Hope to change that.

sedlacekj

sedlacekj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for that pointer, are these things all easy to notice without a HUD? Because there are a lot of tables so to check them all is abit tricky isn’t it? And do you mean 3 times the maximum buy in at the table?? Thanks again :D:D

I just open the table, see who is there, and look for anyone that has 3 times the max buy-in. If so, I don't take a seat, and go open a different table. If it looks better there, I sit. I know some of the frequent good players by username, and avoid them if I can. Others, I recognise by the amount money they have in front of them. If the buy-in for a table is between $4 and $10, but I see someone with $30 or more, I know they have been killing the field. You don't need a HUD to do this, it only takes a click of the mouse to see the table, then watch a bit, then back out.

NUGGEETTEE

NUGGEETTEE

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I just open the table, see who is there, and look for anyone that has 3 times the max buy-in. If so, I don't take a seat, and go open a different table. If it looks better there, I sit. I know some of the frequent good players by username, and avoid them if I can. Others, I recognise by the amount money they have in front of them. If the buy-in for a table is between $4 and $10, but I see someone with $30 or more, I know they have been killing the field. You don't need a HUD to do this, it only takes a click of the mouse to see the table, then watch a bit, then back out.
Great Idea. First see who is playing then play

M

marcumx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i usually fold for two orbits unless of course i get high pairs just to see how everyone plays, if it's too aggressive i leave and find an easier table