Notes on online Players?

puppyfeet

puppyfeet

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
im just starting out, and im finding taking notes to be a useful exercise. whether u ever come across the player in question or not, it helps hone ur game-observing skills...

You are exactly right, and that's a very smart observation for a new player to make!:)

GDRileyx

GDRileyx

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Waste of time! Good players vary their play. Just because they stole alot of blinds yesterday doesn't mean they are not playing squeeky tight today.

The only notes I make are on people who complain about slow play, so that if I get in a game with them again, I can play slow and try to get them on tilt.

puppyfeet

puppyfeet

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Waste of time! Good players vary their play. Just because they stole alot of blinds yesterday doesn't mean they are not playing squeeky tight today.

The only notes I make are on people who complain about slow play, so that if I get in a game with them again, I can play slow and try to get them on tilt.

LOL! Everyone's entitled to their opinion, even if it's wrong!!;)

You're right that good players DO vary their play, but out of all the players all the different levels of play, what percentage of them do you think should be considered "good players?" As is brought up here VERY often, there are a TON of fish and donks out there, who are not good players and WILL make the same mistakes over and over and over again, so what's it hurt to take notes on them?

And yes, players can improve over time, so that's where dating your notes comes into play. And another thing, I don't think that anyone that's recommending taking notes would ever advise making decisions solely based upon what those notes might tell you about a player, but rather that they are just another little piece of info that can be added to all the others available to you when you are making a poker decision. There's nothing that's a "waste of time" about having as much info to consider as possible when you are thinking about your next move.

GDRileyx

GDRileyx

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I am offering advice because I am a successful player.

A very wise woman once said, "There ain't no man who got money in his hand got any of that bread by being slow in the head".

The amount of donks playing poker for money is greatly overestimated. It is one of those things that "If it seems to good to be true, it probably is".

Google gives alot of results, and most of them are bad. There is such a thing as information overload. Mistakes are made by overthinking. The Brits have a great expression for it, "Too clever by half".

Last edited:
JohnSmith110

JohnSmith110

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Any edge you can achieve on someone, in my opinion is worth having. Granted if you expect to never see that person again don't worry about it. when I play at higher stakes or even tourny's I see the same people over and over again so it is helpful to make note of those things beacause that may be the difference between winning and loosing.

DonkeySmash

DonkeySmash

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
is it a good idea or a waste of time

Its essential! Unless you have great intuition and we all think we do. Most of us are logic thinkers and poker is a game of information. So I believe you should take as much notes and gather as much information as possible. I started out by simply putting a R for raise and a L for limp if a tight player has 8 L's and all the sudden he Raises well you know he has a strong hand.

DonkeySmash

hotwings18

hotwings18

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
in my personal opinion i only take notes on the people that are regulars in my game. online i look more at tells and previous betting strategies because my opponents are so much different