non-limping, more....

F

fredel1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
having previously made the statement about not limping, i would like to expand on the concept...so you understand that other players are aware of what you are doing. what they dont know is ....what you have in your hand. if you just limp, youre saying "Gee...I hope i Get something...right now i dont Have Diddly!!"

if you make that bet, given that you want to get into the hand, they will at least assume that you have a strong hand to start. now...here comes the fun...
there are players who absolutely dont care...and they will top your bet every time. I strongly suggest you wait a couple of hands before playing, just to get an idea of who these guys are. Position play against these people is paramount...or they will eat you alive. when they come later in position than you, i strongly suggest you have really powerful hole cards..(queens or better) and smack them on the big blind really hard.
I guarantee they will come back at you...either because they just get ticked off, or they think you are trying to rob them. at this point Youre welcome to rereraise, and put them on the rail. so many techniques, so little time..

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
so many techniques, so little time..

Indeed. The more you learn, the more intricate the game becomes (or at least the more you realize just how intricate it is). Just when you think you know everything, one little piece of info (like the ICM concept, 3-betting light, or some crazy low-M situations and theories) smacks you in the face to let you know you don't know sh*t.

fwiw, this concept of playing raise/fold poker preflop is fine, but there are plenty of times when limping is the best play too. Don't get carried away with the concept.