The New Short Stack Strategy

RedskinRunner325

RedskinRunner325

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow, when you think about it this really makes sense. I'm definitely going to have to try this out in the near future. I like the idea that, if they miss the flop, you have a less chance of getting sucked out on by some crazy donk... I'm really pumped about learning this concept, can't wait to try it out. Great Post SusieP!

PokerVic

PokerVic

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I really like the stop-n-go for late game tournaments, especially when I'm shortstack. It's very effective. But, because it is so effective, you WILL get more action. That means a real double-up when you win, but it also means more suckouts. I'd save it for medium to high pocket pairs, because you'll often get called if your opponent caught any piece of the flop.

You have to decide whether you want to maximize your fold equity or your potential pot size. And that will depend on a lot of factors, including how close you are to the money and your opponents' stacks.

DenisXS

DenisXS

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks a lot mate! Really appreciate it and I will use this in future. I liked a lot how you explained the QQ and AJ action.

ICU2QTPY

ICU2QTPY

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Ya that's a good method. I would use that on "short stacK". It makes perfect sense to me.

You would also be risking getting your chips taken on "post flop" though if you didn't hit.

I guess there's pros and cons to everything.

I would deploy this strategy.

To vote on this as being useful: I would say 8 out of 10.

Peace.

Last edited:
M

Magistik

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the info. I keep getting called with those all ins and losing. I am sure it will help

dropdead1

dropdead1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanx for the info...will def give it a few tries and see how it goes....will report back and it would be nice to get other feedback on this.

R

r.donadoni

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks to share this strategy with us, I'll try it but I'm sure that your oppo can read it after a few time

V

Vizio

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Been using the stop and go and it has helped me to build my stack back up quick well after getting close to the end of the road. Nobody likes to double up the small stack so I have used it as the newest weapon in my poker arsenal. You might need to change the Stop & Go to Vizio's end game come back move.

S

Skidmark

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
By increasing our fold equity it improves our chance of winning the hand, even if our opponent decides to call we are in the exact same situation as we would have been if we had pushed pre-flop. They would have improved there hand either way the chips went in, this way just gives us a better chance of winning without contest. The cards that come out on the flop have no influence on the way we play the hand as our intention at the beginning is to move all in at some point in the hand.

Yes it increases the fold equity but it decreaces the amount you win. Simply the bigger the risk is, the greater is the prize and vice versa .
I also dont agree with the exact same situation thing. Because if u are called on the flop most probably you will be behind and lose. You said that they will miss the flop %60 of the time and hit %40 of the time ok, but then %40 of the time
they will be playing for full stacks but and %60 percent of the time u will only win the amount that was put in preflop.

ripclawph

ripclawph

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
good one! i'll keep that in mind!
i had a lot of experience like that where after i busted out... i was thinking i could have won the pot if do that kind of strategy stop and go. very good post!!!

Tokeard311

Tokeard311

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice. Good call. When short stacked and i have premium hand i will still raise 3x BB hoping to get more $ in pot and make more people call my all in after flop. So even if no one opens pot before you, you can still raise and it will be similiar.

A

ayasak

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
iirc, the term "stop & go" was first started by Greg Raymer. some pts he mentioned abt using " stop & go "

1) when your hand is too good to fold preflop for the condtions
2) if you re-raise preflop, it wouldn't be enough to make them fold
3) if you bet the flop, it will be enough to make them fold if they miss.

A

ayasak

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
add on to previous post, there is

1) "Go & Go"
2) "Stop & Go"
3) "Go-Stop-Go"

not sure if i can post the link to the post here, so i'll copy and paste.

below is written by shaundeeb (2+2) ,

" Go and go are good for 25-30bbs you 3-bet someone OOP and leave like 2/3rds to a full PSB left in your stack to shove any flop

resteal shove is just when someone opens and you shove with a weaker hand than their calling range. I think it was anksy who made a few threads about this that had great discussion look in anthology. Basically good for 12-20bb stacks this move pos doesn't matter

stop and go is when you flat call a opening raise and shove any flop good for short stacks BB 7-11 depending on opener.

go stop go, When you open raise and an aggressive person 3bets you in pos and you think he's light but will prob call your 4bet shove PF with anything you've opened to get since he's a decent player and getting a good price. You flat call the 3bet and shove any flop. Good for 25-35bb "

W

weirdhotshot

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The stop and go is pretty popular. However, to comment on this post, it doesn't require the short stack to be so passive. A lot of the time it's the short stack being aggressive and putting all their chips in the middle for, at best, a 60/40 advantage. Knowing that, a lot of stacks will call the all in simply to see the coin flip eliminate them.

However, there is something psychological behind our reactions to the "all in." It automatically requires us to think for a second, and when it's a short stack, you are most likely drawing a call. It's a good philosophy if you're early in a tournament and would like to see 3 people call and pray for yours to come out on top.

Now, imagine we are in middle position with AJs and it folds to you, you have 1800 and BB is 300. You raise to 950. It demonstrates pot commitment, scaring away any old callers, and then when you push your other half in you have the same situation.

It works well either way, I just don't want people to think that the only way to pull this move off is by being passive preflop.