MTT Help

W

WhatItDew

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have run into a problem playing MTT's that I can't seem to figure out, and I could use a little help.

I play a lot of the low buy in MTT's on pokerstars, and I play a tight aggressive style during the early to middle stages of the tournament, and steal pots when the opportunity presents itself. 9 times out of 10, I run in the top 20-25 in the tournament through the early and middle stages. The problem is that once it gets to the late stages, I can never get over the hump and I regularly get bounced out of the tournament on the bubble, or barely ITM.

I don't think that I am getting involved in too many pots during the later stages, as my starting hand selection tightens up during the later stages (which come to think of it, could be part of my problem when I have sufficient chips to play weaker starting hands and sneak up on people). The one thing that I have noticed is that I tend to get involved in a lot of pots with opponents who have my stack covered, and it always seems that the one flop that I hit strength, they always have better.

Does anyone have any advice to help me get past the hump, and into larger cashes in MTT's?

killerrat

killerrat

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well if they have you covered limpimg is one thing I would suggest. Gives you fold equity. This also lets me know you are pretty much short stacked. So only top tens play here if out of position. Also if you have 20BB time to think all ins and be picky with the hand you want.
But in general tighten up your game at this stage, your opponents have.

M

maverick7192

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree. In the late stage of the game you need to tighten up your game. But also look at who you are playing with. If it's a tight table you can play loose, but it's it's a crazy table then wait for the hands you would defenatley raise on.