Moving up to $25NL

Karkus77

Karkus77

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
congratulations on moving up, i currently play $25 rush and standard cash. i really dont think there is all that much difference between $10 and $25, a few less nutters, but the skill level is not a huge difference, just make sure your fully rolled for it so as not to be playing with scared money

good luck at the tables

oh and hello all, my first post :)

Karkus77

Karkus77

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
oh and as regards to the poker since black friday

its got alot worse, especially in tounaments, the ratio of crazy russians and other random countries that play like nutters has gone up

Pascal-lf

Pascal-lf

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What tournaments have you been playing? I've noticed very little difference in tournaments $2 to $22 buyins, apart from the late night tournaments getting way fewer runners

JohnBoyWWFC

JohnBoyWWFC

Grindddddd
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Really Pascal? Maybe I've just been running good cos I've found I'm going deeper with much more regularity!

Pascal-lf

Pascal-lf

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Probably because they are smaller? :p

ace2daface

ace2daface

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
well done op. Nice to see the progression.

mrmonkey

mrmonkey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey OP, just found this thread and curious how things are going. I took a shot at 25nl on the first of May with a $600 roll, coinciding with my decision to try to clear as much of my $300 added bonus as possible. I put a stop loss at 8 buyins, so if my roll went down to $400 I would have to drop back down to 10nl. I figured with effective 40% rakeback or so it would probably be a good time to attempt such a shot.

Things went decently well, from an EV perspective. In about 15,000 hands with the bonus, I estimated my street for street EV was about 8-10 buyins up.

As for actual results, I had to drop back to 10nl when my bankroll went down to $400 due to an unbelievable string of suckouts, coolers, and monsters going unpaid. It was by far the worst downswing I've suffered in over 200,000 hands, and the timing for it was just terrible.

I was mostly playing 6-max Rush, I'm not sure what your favored game is. At 6-max Rush, I would echo what was said before -- generally people don't spew stacks as easily as at 10nl and the 3bet aggression is perhaps slightly higher on average. There's also more SPR planning going on, and people tend to be more aware of different betting lines.

Care to share your experiences? I'm currently rebuilding my roll and may take another stab before my bonus period runs out if I can get my roll to at least $500 with another stop loss at $400.

pokerman27

pokerman27

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry for the delay in replying everyone.

What would you say the main way you've improved your game is? Books, HH analysis or something else?

Good question - have read a lot of books but none that I would individually recommend. Basically I took a lot of advice from a number of books and articles and applied it to my game (and limit).

The hand analysis thread on here is priceless too. Get stuck in and articulate your thoughts. Don't read the whole thread until you have analysed the hand and have decided exactly what you would do in that spot and why and then post your thoughts. It's all too easy to read a HA thread and think you understand it when you are just reading someone's particular angle. This is true of books too.

I did have coaching at $10NL as well which seriously overhauled my game.

Hey OP, just found this thread and curious how things are going. I took a shot at 25nl on the first of May with a $600 roll, coinciding with my decision to try to clear as much of my $300 added bonus as possible. I put a stop loss at 8 buyins, so if my roll went down to $400 I would have to drop back down to 10nl. I figured with effective 40% rakeback or so it would probably be a good time to attempt such a shot.

Things went decently well, from an EV perspective. In about 15,000 hands with the bonus, I estimated my street for street EV was about 8-10 buyins up.

As for actual results, I had to drop back to 10nl when my bankroll went down to $400 due to an unbelievable string of suckouts, coolers, and monsters going unpaid. It was by far the worst downswing I've suffered in over 200,000 hands, and the timing for it was just terrible.

I was mostly playing 6-max Rush, I'm not sure what your favored game is. At 6-max Rush, I would echo what was said before -- generally people don't spew stacks as easily as at 10nl and the 3bet aggression is perhaps slightly higher on average. There's also more SPR planning going on, and people tend to be more aware of different betting lines.

Care to share your experiences? I'm currently rebuilding my roll and may take another stab before my bonus period runs out if I can get my roll to at least $500 with another stop loss at $400.

My favoured game is full ring. $25NL started off pretty awful losing some monster pots early to the usual coolers. Every move up in limits I have had as always started with a lovely heater allowing me to get well and truly 'bedded' in to that limit BR wise except this one! I don't know if you saw my other thread (https://www.cardschat.com/forum/community-hangout-4/fml-197359/) but this caused me to tilt off a few buyins playing pretty shitty poker in the couple days after before I got away for a bit. Since then I have stopped, reviewed some hands and made a few (minor) adjustments to my game. Although the differences between $2NL, $5NL, $10NL and $25NL are negligible (certainly at the lower end) the exploitable edges IMHO become a lot thinner with each step up, but this is a good thing, this is how we become better. By narrowing these edges we force ourselves to gain new skill-sets to exploit these edges making us better players...that's the idea anyway.

Let me know how you're getting on.

mrmonkey

mrmonkey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow, I just read through the other thread -- I'm glad you are OK and I'm sorry you had to endure something like that. I've been strong-arm robbed before as well, group of four large 18 yr old kids came up from behind and tried to knock me out with punches to the head. I'm a pretty sturdy guy and used to play American football, so didn't really get affected by the physicality of it and I only lost about $25 or so, but the psychological aspect took a while to get over. I wish you the best and a speedy recovery from both the physical and mental/emotional damage.

Back on poker, recently I've run into a lot of poor play at 25nl 6-max rush which has made me think the level really isn't that much more difficult to beat than 10nl. I do agree the edges are smaller though, and I think there are probably about half the amount of spewy players at 25nl vs 10nl, but it's still not too hard to beat with a mostly similar playing style I had been utilizing at 10nl.

I was able to get my roll back up to $560 from $400, which allowed me to take another crack at 25nl with another 3 days left on my added bonus. The poker gods did not smile upon me. I continue to consistently have my 70%+ hands cracked and ran into set over set twice, and the last two sessions brought me back down to $475 or so despite playing excellent poker. I think I will continue with 25nl for a little bit with a stop loss drop down to 10nl at $425. I need just 200 or so FTP to have cleared $200 of my added bonus and that would give me an additional $20 ring game ticket. Once the $200 bonus is cleared, I will likely stay stay at 10nl until I hit $750 to take another shot at 25nl so I can be more properly rolled as I won't have 50% rakeback to fall back on.

Reviewing my sessions, I feel pretty positive about my game even though I'm getting smacked down in the monetary results. Just gotta keep that chin up and look for ways to increase my edge even more to help with these inevitable periods of negative variance. There's nothing I can do about constantly losing to two-outters, but what I CAN do is improve my game to make it sting a little less.

Last edited:
pokerman27

pokerman27

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm on the up again....time for $50NL

F

fkucdaw0rld

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
damn bro, thats a quick jump...keep it up, good luck at the higher levels...be careful too man

acky100

acky100

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow that was quick man! i remember when i read this not long ago and was hoping id get to 25nl one day and now i am also :)

Good luck with 50nl hopefully i'll be there soon too! very impressed! Do you play FR? If so id be up for sweating/ talking about poker on skype or whatever if you wanna add me on there?

GL

TylerN

TylerN

Kool-Aid & Frozen Pizza
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
YourAwesome.jpg

congrats. join our skype group dude. we talk everyday about poker/randomness while playing

pokerman27

pokerman27

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Sweetness

That was quick! Congrats.

damn bro, thats a quick jump...keep it up, good luck at the higher levels...be careful too man

Hi everyone...thanks for the kind words.

Yes, it was a quick jump....Have a put in a ton of volume at $25NL and worked tirelessly on my game and managed to beat $25NL comfortably for a decent WR. Still have a ton of leaks and still feel like I am way behind where I want to be but am committed to getting there

Wow that was quick man! i remember when i read this not long ago and was hoping id get to 25nl one day and now i am also :)

Good luck with 50nl hopefully i'll be there soon too! very impressed! Do you play FR? If so id be up for sweating/ talking about poker on skype or whatever if you wanna add me on there?

GL

Yes mate I play FR - sure send me a PM and we can chat on Skype.

YourAwesome.jpg

congrats. join our skype group dude. we talk everyday about poker/randomness while playing

Nice one buddy, likewise, drop me a PM and we can hook up on Skype - would love to join the chat group.

mrmonkey

mrmonkey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just want to chime in and give my congrats as well! Moving up stakes in little more than a month while putting in big volume is a great accomplishment. I wish you luck on your current endeavors at 50nl and beyond.

Conan, what is best in life?

"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of the women."

You, my friend, are Conan the Barbarian (of poker)