min raise with aces

M

Machidon7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yesterday I was playing in the US Freeroll and got pockets Aces 4 times. Each time I made a 3x BB raise and each time everyone folded to me. Even when I had been real aggressive for a few hands in a row, and then got em everybody folded. But there was no way I was going to limp with them in that.

Sometimes in a SnG, if Im UTG or in EP with really aggressive players or a short stack behind me I might limp. This is just because Im hoping for someone to raise me, so I can reraise them back. Usually will only do that tho if I have a decent sized stack. Hmm, well actually might do it as a short stack also hoping for an aggressive big stack to push me in. Both of which have happened and worked well, usually its down to HU which is what you want if your allin with Aces.

i completely agree with what u just said...and i may add for cash games u should try to bring in the pot as much money as u think u will get paid off....slow play means waste of money,it is an open invitation to all players with marginal drawing hands(u should want only 1 or 2 callers ;)).....omg it's like u want your AA to be crack :smile:

Suited Frenzy

Suited Frenzy

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i completely agree with what u just said...and i may add for cash games u should try to bring in the pot as much money as u think u will get paid off....slow play means waste of money,it is an open invitation to all players with marginal drawing hands(u should want only 1 or 2 callers ;)).....omg it's like u want your AA to be crack :smile:

Yes, you want to maximize the value of your hand by gettin' as much out of them as possible.

TBH, most of the time when I see pkt aces get cracked is when some1 has raised wrong from the get go & this is what the thread is basically about (learning NOT to mini-raise pre-flop, not only w/ pkt aces, but ALL hands you decide to raise w/.)

silverslugger33

silverslugger33

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, the reason that a lot of people do it is because they don't realize the value of isolating with your aces, so they think that it is better to get a lot of callers.

That being said, there is a reason to do it every now and then. Since a lot of people will min raise from late position to try to make a cheap steal, it could prove prudent to min raise from the CO, button, or even SB if it's folded to you if you have a BB who is very resistant to steals. Baiting the BB into a resteal attempt can be very profitable, especially if you play them correctly after the reraise by the button.

C

Chamaican666

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Min Raising with aces is def something u should not do, unless its folded to u and ur in the sb and u just wnat a bit extra from hte bb. With aces you want to isolate preflop, if u raise early position to 3.5 or 4X BB and get like 5 callers so be it, but if u can narrow the field with ur aces i suggest u do so. Limpining in early position to reraise later is risky and only works if u know someone will raise at the table. Heads up aces win 80% of the time, with 2 other opponents the number shrinks to i think 55% and then when their are 3 other hands its as low as 35-45ish. So the less hands hte better.

PattyR

PattyR

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
never.....never.....never ever...min raise with aces......

normally ill raise it 6 - 7 BB that way im only taking the blinds or only getting 1 caller...i dont want to be involved in any sort of multi way pot.

C

Chamaican666

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I really don't like the idea of min-raising with Aces, but I do believe there is a time where any play is plausible. That is the beauty of the poker universe.

I think some people before me pointed out some situations where it may be a good idea. If the table is really tight, you might not get called at all. Also, if your image is really tight, and you make a big raise, you might not get called at all. In the long run though, min-raising on Aces is a losing play IMO. You're not getting the max value for the value of your cards. But the play is plausible, despite its situational strength.

I rather raise to my standard 3.5 to 5X BB in a cash game with aces everytime and get no callers than to min raise and get my whole stack involved. stealing the blinds is an ok result, still positive EV.

T

ted80

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i've gotten to where i raise ~4BB with AA. its a cursed hand if you don't wipe out the competition. i figure if everyone drops out you've still got your little win, which, late in a tourney can seem like a godsend to me anyway. after all, they're just a pair. there's gonna be 5 cards laying out on that table pretty soon...plus the two that everyone else has all ready...if you dont hit, it could bring a tear to your eye.

today i was in the BB, i had a 59. a few ppl limp in. in the flop...a 5 and a 9 show up. shoot, i lay out about half the pot. everybody folds with exception to one guy. the turn drops down...its nothing. i shove down half the pot again, he raises, so i shoved...he calls...oh...there's his pocket rockets...the river was nothing, and he was pretty much done for the day after that. had he raised preflop, i would have been gone, my 59 wasn't suited, it wasn't much of anything to me....till i got to see the flop. i don't think i've ever min-raised in my life either...i may be tight but its usually go hard or go home when i hit, depending on my stack

Goodwooter

Goodwooter

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i generally raise according to position and not according to cards...so if i get AA in early position, i will min raise...and if reraised...make a strong stand and try and isolate

gl to you
wooter

T

turby

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well, i've learnt to be very suspicious of min raises UTG because of this exact play!

One stupid thing which has happened to others who did not raise AA preflop... when I was BB and i hit 2 pair on the flop, I checked to him and he passed, turn came a K, i shoved all in and he called.

So I guess he was thinking I was sneaky.. but in the end, it cost him his tourney life.

Maybe.. such plays are +ve in the long run? Some seem to think so.. "it happens" they say... I don't think so... there's always that risk you may face more than 2 other players if you limp/min-raise with AA..

I guess the min-raiser hopes that someone else would re-raise and you'll be able to isolate one...good plan but it can backfire. Knowing when to fold AA... if things don't go to plan, is another thing!