Are micro stakes bad for you?

youri

youri

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In general, micro stakes tend have lots of recreational players who have no idea what they're doing, so you just have to out-fundamental them. That said, in medium and high stakes you can find also some lousy plays and bad players chasing all the time despite the math being against them. The question are micro stakes bad for you? implies that you're best suited to playing at the high level where, lets say your raises and reraises would be respected, your fancy moves will work.. etc. No, thats not necessarily true. If you're good enough and know the basics, the micros won't be much of a problem, it just takes time to make lots of money there and move up the ladder.

Jim Rivas

Jim Rivas

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm talking about the really small cash games; like .10/.20 or less. It seems very difficult to play a solid game because the villains chase so much and WIN! I can't see this kind of play happening in higher stakes; or at least not as often.

So, is it just a money pit playing at these levels, or what? Would I be better suited jumping in at say .50/$1 to see some real skill? What do you think?
If you want to play poker more ral, with strategies and good players you must have micro limits, it is frustrating that you prepare and study to improve yourself and play with people who have no order in the game or defined strategy, just because it is cheap.:frown:

StealTheButton

StealTheButton

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is where you adjust your bet size and control the pot size. If other players are making -EV decisions its +EV for you. These players will also pay you off when you make your hand, so it's easier to win back your short term fluctuations.

DougPkrMonsta

DougPkrMonsta

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Learning how to beat bad players will take you a long way, so no low stakes games are not a waste of time.

If you want to win money, learn at low stakes and then move up to bigger games as your skill improves.

Good luck! :D

M

moshie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing micro stakes mtts where it feels like bingo a lot of the time. The upside is your getting called wider by most players. The problem in multi way pots where more than 5 people take the turn is you have to have the best hand by the river. There is almost no safe card on the river unless you have nuts on turn already.
Some one will try and make a play on the river to represent the best hand.

lattedank

lattedank

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing micro stakes mtts where it feels like bingo a lot of the time. The upside is your getting called wider by most players. The problem in multi way pots where more than 5 people take the turn is you have to have the best hand by the river. There is almost no safe card on the river unless you have nuts on turn already.
Some one will try and make a play on the river to represent the best hand.
I can't agree with you on that. It's easy to make money in microstakes. Against bingo players, all you need is a good hand. Even if you don't hit the flop and they hit with their shitty hands, you can fold and get them next time.

Pindiez

Pindiez

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I really like play in micro stakes :) For me poker is a hobby and if I play in micro levels is good for me! I like play when I have freetime:D

JimmyBrizzy

JimmyBrizzy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I once died from playing micro stakes. Very bad.

gallora

gallora

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that you need to gradually learn to play at all limits. Any limit for someone will be considered micro.

J

Jim_Saras

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
low stakes

"the villains chase so much and WIN"

I think that's the main reason why it makes these stakes profitable. You can make them pay a lot to hit to the point where it doesn't matter that you pay them when they hit. if they hit a gutshot or a backdoor 10% of the time then you make a profit the rest of the 90%