Massive pot lost with AA - please critique my play

Mr Sandbag

Mr Sandbag

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the only way you could have gotten away from this hand is by check-raising on the flop and folding to a re-raise. Not saying it is the smartest move with an overpair because you run the risk of giving a free card to a hand like 99, but it could have given you enough information to put him on at least a set. Either way you were going to lose some money. No way around it.

Overall, you played it as you should - just got beat by wrong play, wrong cards, right time. It happens.

italiano

italiano

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it's horrible when that happens complicated hands have touched me like that! you do not want to fold because it is AA but sometimes you have to do what the heart commands and not what the reason!

LuckyBundy13

LuckyBundy13

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You did all the work for him. Easy hand for him. That's one of those "proceed w/ caution" boards. You didn't have to keep pumping $ into the pot. I know I would have found some way to slow down either on the flop or turn, it's all situational. In other words, sucks that you got stacked w/ AA's. It happens.

S3mper

S3mper

Poker Not Checkers
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
You did all the work for him. Easy hand for him. That's one of those "proceed w/ caution" boards. You didn't have to keep pumping $ into the pot. I know I would have found some way to slow down either on the flop or turn, it's all situational. In other words, sucks that you got stacked w/ AA's. It happens.

He raised to $5 pre flop and continued I think it may have been a bad play to check the flop betting the turn is fine and on the river he's in a tough spot if he checks villain probably shoves now is this a check/fold spot? seems like a hand where its +EV in the long run to get stacked in this spot on this one hand (imo)

Maybe checking the turn for some pot control may have helped too but I don't know I'm going broke here too most of the time. Assuming I don't misclick.

LuckyBundy13

LuckyBundy13

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He raised to $5 pre flop and continued I think it may have been a bad play to check the flop betting the turn is fine and on the river he's in a tough spot if he checks villain probably shoves now is this a check/fold spot? seems like a hand where its +EV in the long run to get stacked in this spot on this one hand (imo)

Maybe checking the turn for some pot control may have helped too but I don't know I'm going broke here too most of the time. Assuming I don't misclick.
Well he doesn't mention any table dynamics/reads/image or even stack sizes. With this being said I think you can go for a check/raise on the flop and maybe even dump the hand after you get 4 bet. Say you were to flat the 4 bet, check the turn and fires again...I don't think I go broke here, not with 1 pair.

S3mper

S3mper

Poker Not Checkers
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Well he doesn't mention any table dynamics/reads/image or even stack sizes. With this being said I think you can go for a check/raise on the flop and maybe even dump the hand after you get 4 bet. Say you were to flat the 4 bet, check the turn and fires again...I don't think I go broke here, not with 1 pair.

You may be right but AA looks so pretty... I'm praying for the miss click in this spot =p

C

chipicao

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i think it's standard play for this scenario, I woulda bet more turn and shove river.

Michael Paler

Michael Paler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont think you can play poker with the attitude of losing a bit pot or winning a small pot with AA or KK.

With 2 outs you will generally only be a over pair hand. No matter what cards on the board, villain may always have trips or 2 pairs.

If you play defensive assuming the better hand for your opponent, you are leaving a lot of money of the table.

Its not an "attitude" as much as a reason for caution. It is a saying for a reason; that is what I mean- "here is why...". I agree about not wanting always playing defensive, but you should always play smart.