Losing interest in poker???

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Some join here to chat. Freeroll club is only a part of this.

I started at SNG tourneys. Grinding at cash games is boring to me but can be more profitable. I get it.

D

danielsaj16

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Esporte da mente!

When you admit that your instincts during a hand are affected by emotion, you can then take a step back and find the best logical play. However, if you pretend you don’t have emotions, or that they don’t affect you, you will let them influence your thinking. You’ll convince yourself that you were just making the play you logically thought was best. You’ll be wrong.

The great thing about becoming fully aware of the way things affect you, and the impact those effects have on your game, is that you begin to better understand your opponents. I have had many times where I knew my opponent felt exactly the way I… I mean you, were feeling in the hand above. But my opponent usually won’t admit it to himself and make the proper adjustments. I get to completely run him over.

There are many more examples (quitting decisions, stake selection, any kind of tilt, etc.), but the message is the same:

You are a person. You feel things. Rather than pretend those feelings don’t exist, you can use those feelings as factors, adding them, alongside your probabilities and logical deductions, and whatever else, into your decision making equation. I’d argue that this makes you much more logical than the wannabe robots who’d laugh at you for doing this.

BogdanStark

BogdanStark

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1) I have no idea what you're talking about some Freeroll Club. I play exclusively 100NL cash/Zone.

2) Playing for higher stakes takes the enjoyment out of the game for me to some degree. This is an extreme but imagine playing something like 1000NL+ and see how fun that is after a week or two. If you feel energized after winning a lot of money, great for you. Not everybody is like you.

3) Why would I lie about my losing interest in poker? That's super offensive and very rude of you. I could snap a picture of my transactions on Bovada, but doing so just to prove to you that I'm not an immature college student lying about my poker career is a waste of my time. And why would I not write about it here? I'm a cardschat regular, and I have a question that I would like some feedback on.

In that case sorry BRO that I didn't believe you once))
If you talk seriously then I wish you good luck in all limits you play =)

quick

quick

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You sound like a good player and obviously doing well at the game. That said if you find it boring, consider taking a break and/or dropping down stakes and playing for the love of the game. I'm not nearly as skilled as you are nor do I play as high stakes (yet) but I noticed once I stopped thinking about the money I could make or the money on the table as money, I played better. I used to make an excuse that playing for lower stakes was "boring" if I was good enough to play higher stakes. But then I asked myself why I was bored and figured it out and decided to play where my BR dictates and play the game, not the dollar amount. I found out I still love the game, I love the challenge, and while I want to make money playing, I need common sense and play where the BR is secure. I found I still get the same excitement out of a hand whether it's for $1 or $100 and that was important to me that I have that passion.

And hey if I get bored, I take a break. Poker is always there tomorrow.

So like me, I say consider evaluating why you play, what you like about it and go from there. Don't seek higher stakes for the thrill if your BR can't take the hit. Took me a long time to learn that lesson but I'm glad I did. And as others said, be mindful of your emotions as you play. Take a step back from the table if you find your emotions are affecting your play. Don't ignore them.

1eCc0

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
relax for a couple of weeks and you will see the interest will return

Sakolik029

Sakolik029

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Intires poker

I started playing poker,for me, opened a new world I think will never lose intires poker:)

T

Terrell

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is the devil. If you love it you will always come back lol

TimovieMan

TimovieMan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I played a lot of poker several years back. Fixed limit.
Started with 150$, built that up to 1000$ in six months with full ring micro stakes cash games. Built that up to 3000$ in the six months after that in 6-max low stakes cash games - even took a month to improve my HU skills as those were very useful for postflop play in 6-max.
After that, I built that 3K$ roll up to an 18K$ one, in six months of 6-max low-to-mid stakes.

I lost interest almost overnight. In my last (and best $-wise) month, I spent the last week playing shorter sessions than usual, needing to switch tables more to get better position, etc. The grind was getting to me.
I quit, took out my entire roll, didn't look back.

Now we're 7 years later, and that itch is back. I want to play hands again.
Of course, in the meantime fixed limit has become rather unpopular, so I'm looking at NL, starting from scratch again.
And now it's FUN again.

So, my advice is: take a break. Only return once you feel like playing again.
Play because you LIKE to play. Not because you think you have to.

E

EnSabah

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I continue playing, which I probably will, I can buy myself a car, pay off all my student loans, buy whatever gadgets I want, and help support my family even though I'm just a college student. I'm pretty confused. I think anyone else would be feeling accomplished, proud, and happy. A good winrate, moving up from 25NL to 100NL in less than 3 months/40 sessions, and at the point where I can make more money than most people can make in their regular jobs. No coach, just self-study. And yet here I feel empty.

Maybe you are feeling poker is like a regular job, and like some jobs, just some boring way to make good or enough money. No more magic, just grinding.

But the real question here is what you want to do with you life imho. You want to live playing poker with all ups-and-down, or take the regular job path? Maybe you can do both? I have a good college degree and work in public sector (good and safe option in my country), and now i am back to poker to play without fear, because if i cant make here, i still can pay my bills, food and more.

bitowl

bitowl

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been playing for years and take multiple month breaks pretty often. I think it's normal. They cycle goes something like this:

1. Some poker news event or random thing sparks my interest in poker again.
2. Become convinced that I've learned from past mistakes and am better at poker than ever before and will CRUSH SOULS variance free.
3. Play for a few months at stakes where the money means nothing to me, win consistently.
4. Start shot taking limits where the money is significant. Lose, regrind, lose, try to transition into a new game or format but ultimately lose interest.

Been going on like this for ages lol. But it's just a hobby. I learned years ago that thinking stuff like "I'll buy a car with my poker money" is the wrong way to approach poker. You're gambling with a small edge and it's not 2008 anymore. People can and do make tons of money playing poker but until you have a proven track record, consider your full roll as $ spent and gone already. I remember black friday and won't ever make the mistake of taking these sites stability for granted.

IPlay

IPlay

Bum hunts 25NL
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
3. Play for a few months at stakes where the money means nothing to me, win consistently.
4. Start shot taking limits where the money is significant. Lose, regrind, lose, try to transition into a new game or format but ultimately lose interest.

Sounds so much like me, I have had some good runs and a 1bb/100 winrate at 100NL but my roll couldn't survive the swings.

Minh, you are bored because you are satisfied. You don't feel like you need to grind right now because you probably think "job well done"

Same thing happened to me when I started playing live 1/2 full time, I made like 10-12k in 3 months and got content and lazy af. Started playing like 10 hours a week instead of 40-50.

Are you going to withdraw some winnings or what?

M

MinhANguyen

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
IPlay, I don't think I was exactly satisfied. There were a few major reasons now that I've stepped away for a while and had some time to think about it. One of the main ones is that there is no Zone past 100NL, and I don't think I'm really going to enjoy just four tables of 200NL/400NL+ lol. Way too slow and not enough action.

Also I think 50NL tilted me a lot and burned me out a bit, and maybe to some degree the larger stakes and $. I didn't stay at 50NL that long though and I jumped to 100NL. There's something psychological about the $, and it contributed to my feeling of burnout that was already setting in from 2 months of 25NL grinding and a very frustrating 2 weeks of 50NL where everyone squeezed and 3-bet the shit out of me in Zone. I could also only play inconvenient times at night and for 2-3 hrs, which was frustrating and probably made me burnout more due to 50NL Zone spewiness and tilt. I tilted pretty hard at 50NL very often, while almost never at 25NL and not yet at 100NL.

When I think of poker, I also sometimes can't help but think of the absolute $ stakes I'm playing at, and it seems a little less of a "game" to me. Hard to explain. It's a weird feeling that I've never even had more than like $1.2k? in my drawer yet I splash around $100 on coin flips/praying for preflop folds with AK, 70/30, 80/20, 20/80, etc all-ins constantly. In one hand 10% of my roll was in on the flop with top set over middle set 300+bb deep, and for me $310 is a lot. I literally started seeing stars, and my adrenaline was crazy.

But no, I am not withdrawing :). I actually miss poker and do want to come back. I wanted to start playing again after 3 weeks of not playing, but I have a music audition that I've really needed to cram for on the 30th. I want to play after it's over, but I have a midterm for Calculus Multivariable (which really sucks btw) the week after. So around early February I'll start playing again :).

I don't plan on withdrawing until I hit $6k for HEM 2, Bovada Card Catcher, Bovada Hand Converter, and a HUD. Then at maybe $9k to buy a new laptop for myself and one for my sister as a belated birthday gift. And then monthly after $11k+ when I'm a 200NL reg.

Last edited:
Bogdan Pyts

Bogdan Pyts

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
losing is not interesting, but the people who do not play often lose due to the fact that they like it, but because it gives hope for poker is easy money and that's the whole point

W

Watchurblinds

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know what u mean. Every now and then I lose my interest in playing poker.

Romario2223

Romario2223

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
May be if You losing interest in poker You must make break about some month and than starting with fresh thinks?

pocketelf0

pocketelf0

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Take a break or play a different variant. I like playing PLO from time to time

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is the devil. If you love it you will always come back lol
For me, poker has long been a dull affair. Like the second evening of work. If won a large sum then I stopped playing. I have more adrenaline from online shooter than from boring sitting at the poker.

AlyLauren

AlyLauren

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you love what you're doing you can't just easily quit it. Maybe you are just tired and wants to try other thing, but time will come you will look back on playing poker, it may not ba the same as before but it will work.

cliffordsimak

cliffordsimak

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey Bro MinhANguyen, how are you now? :tee:
How is your mood?

It's been a couple of months you lost interest. Already back to poker?
Did you took a break, how guys told you?

:as4: :ks4: :qs4: :js4: :10s4:

M

MinhANguyen

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey Bro MinhANguyen, how are you now? :tee:
How is your mood?

It's been a couple of months you lost interest. Already back to poker?
Did you took a break, how guys told you?

:as4: :ks4: :qs4: :js4: :10s4:

Actually good, and getting back to poker soon after midterms and an entrance exam :). Just got burned out, and yeah I took a pretty long break that wasn't intentional to prepare for a school entrance exam. Been missing it and wanted to play again about 2 weeks ago, but I also think a month longer break will help me feel better when I come back.

L

Laps1ns

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
how can you lose interest in poker?? such amazing game... it just that brain working so that you can feel that :D sorry. its just perfect time spending ;)

skiptomyloot

skiptomyloot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
After thinking about starting over in poker again this year, I started thinking about all the time I spent... Thinking about those long days and seeing myself win less than expected, it made me almost want to quit. But Instead of giving up, i started reading up again on developing and reading more on articles because I want to get into playing cash games online and not fish for Mtt wins anymore. so im slowly aspiring to try and learn poker again. My interest is more on learning the financial development and build my foundation so I can support myself as a poker player.

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I've cut back lately. Found myself playing any two cards just to make something happen... gambling more than playing poker. Trying to only play a couple of times a week until I regain the time and focus.

kbuinowski

kbuinowski

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lose intrest

I don't know how to explain it, but after my transition to 50NL 2 weeks ago and especially my transition to 100NL last week, I kind of have the feeling that I don't really enjoy poker as much as I used to.

I started with a $500 deposit from my financial aid to play poker somewhere around October. First three times I played on Bovada, I lost about $200 playing 5NL/10NL/25NL due to tilt/being underrolled. Withdrew with the intention to not play again until I was maybe out of college. Friend sort of persuaded me to try again with my financial aid money, and so I came back for the last time deciding that if I failed again, I wouldn't play until I was out of college. When I quit after the 3rd time, I did miss playing poker just days after and still thought about it weeks later.

Within 2 month and a half, I built my BR to $1900 and moved to 50NL. And within a week and a half, I got to $2400 and took a shot at 100NL although I was a BR nit. Was super frustrating that I could only play 50NL from 8pm-10pm on Bovada Zone. Been staying at 100NL for 2 sessions and now at $3.7k BR, and probably staying there permanently unless I go on a huge downswing.

At 25NL, I usually had an urge to play poker, and I played almost everyday I had spare time unless I was drained from college work/midterms/finals. I STILL sometimes played after all-nighters for finals/essays to relieve the dullness of studying/working for so long. And when I was on a heater, I played until I dropped dead. I've had two 8-10 hour sessions before at 25NL on 2 Zone 2 cash, and that is not good for your body when you're a full-time college student. At 50NL/100NL I almost always quit after 2-3 hrs, whether I'm losing or on a huge heater. Ever since 50NL and especially 100NL, poker kind of feels more like a job to me. Tbh I think if it weren't for the money factor, I'm not sure if I would be playing anymore. Before it was a combination of the potential money I could be making at 100NL+ and my enjoyment of the game.

I can't really explain it, but I don't feel eager anymore to go play. I can go several days to a week without playing and without a strong desire to play. And when I have winning sessions, even big winning sessions like my past two sessions ($850 and $450 in 3hr sessions at 100NL), I don't feel anything anymore. No sense of pride or joy. Instead I think I might have actually felt numb. I just don't know why I'm feeling this way. Maybe making $20-$100+ decisions on a constant basis, more stress due to absolute $$ being at stake, finally reaching my 100NL goal, getting bored after playing 80k+ hands for no reason???? Anyone ever feel this way?? :confused:

If I continue playing, which I probably will, I can buy myself a car, pay off all my student loans, buy whatever gadgets I want, and help support my family even though I'm just a college student. I'm pretty confused. I think anyone else would be feeling accomplished, proud, and happy. A good winrate, moving up from 25NL to 100NL in less than 3 months/40 sessions, and at the point where I can make more money than most people can make in their regular jobs. No coach, just self-study. And yet here I feel empty.[/quote

There are days that I'm not interest in playing poker. It's either I am tired or I have played in a few tourneys when there is a lot of players goes all in and they have cards that would been folded but they still go all in before the flop and they hit.

AlexBred

AlexBred

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
first of all this is a game you can not only think about the money, play more, then you will understand that poker is fun