Lags

S

Skaplun

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think its about time to come to terms with the fact that I'm a monkey.
I run between 20-30 with agf of about 3.5 and I ran that way from 2nl-50nl and now back to 4nl and will probably always be a lag.
One question I have for my fellow lags is:
How much do you guys "spew" on false situational assessment (for a lack of better phrase I'll use this one.) I think per 3k hands I spew about 2BIs. I'm wondering how that measures up vs other lags spew range lol.
anyone have any insight into this?

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I spewed a lot. Stop being laggy, or at least limit it. I think the only time my lagginess truely showed a profit was when I was playing nothing but 200bb's deep.

thepokerkid123

thepokerkid123

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
^ +1

I suck at poker and have no idea how many BB/100 mistakes cost me but know it's way more than it should be.

LAGiness is stupid, imo. We should reform and become TAGs, +EV.

S

Skaplun

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not sure lagginness is stupid, maybe being a lag fish without any understanding of position is stupid. regardless, I'm extremely positionally aware, and I have decided to open up my value range from the cutoff and the button. As such I am obviously value betting a bit thinner than what would be comfortable for others and I have shown a profit from doing so. But I am sometimes wrong, as everyone can be and I'm just wondering how that holds up for most people who open wider in late position.
My cutoff and btn oppening range is:
Axs, Axo, Kxs, Qxs, QJo+, any smaller suited connectors, any pocket pairs.
this does not apply to my early position play at all.

thepokerkid123

thepokerkid123

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't mean it's stupid as in it can't be done, I mean it's stupid as in most people who do it would (probably) be better off playing tight. It takes more skill to play loose, and similar winrates are possible playing tight.
I'm in the process of tightening up though so I might be a bit biased.

Regarding your BTN/CO range, you can really open wider on the BTN (my standard range there is 15% more), obviously depends on your raise sizing, opponents and the rest of your game. I know a lot of people here will probably disagree but give it a try.
I'm assuming also that you just generalised your ranges, because there's a big difference between CO and BTN.

Any time I'm having issues with my game the answer is consistently "fold more often".

Take all of this with a grain of salt though, do whatever works for you.

slycbnew

slycbnew

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
fwiw, I had much more success at micro NLHE 6max (through 50nl) playing a nitty tight style (16/14) than w a looser style, and I was never that loose. Yeah, it's very possible to be laggy and successful, but I think alot of players end up doing what I do - spewing left and right when it's not appropriate.

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Axs, Axo, Kxs, Qxs, QJo+, any smaller suited connectors, any pocket pairs.
this does not apply to my early position play at all.
They should not be the same.

Seriously, if you had a 12% VPIP everywhere but the button, you wouldn't be far wrong. I've played a TON of laggy poker from stakes between 25NL and 100NL, and I'm 100% certain that its more profitable to be a solid TAG at those limits unless your stacks are very deep (200bb's plus).

nitterus

nitterus

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
people told me to play tight at NL2 and i made buttons

i loosened up and played the way i wanted and raped the show

yesterday i had $.80 left from playing tag over 3 tables and after switching to 1 table LAG im up to $27 after lyk 8 or 9 hours

maybe jst me tho

brank

brank

Back in!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
people told me to play tight at NL2 and i made buttons

i loosened up and played the way i wanted and raped the show

yesterday i had $.80 left from playing tag over 3 tables and after switching to 1 table LAG im up to $27 after lyk 8 or 9 hours

maybe jst me tho

Heater...

rssurfer54

rssurfer54

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you guys are right about tightening up. One advantage to playing looser though, especially after you have learned the basics, is just experience. I know this might not be entirely +ev, but I definitely used to play looser, like 27/22 at 6max, and now im tightening up, but I feel better in marginal situations than I would if I had played tight that whole time.

That wasnt explained well, but I hope you guys got what I meant.