Interesting tourney

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In todays bodog Buy in, I got to practice a new version of my game. Today it was LAP+, loose and passive the plus could be a big 'BUT!' WHen I hit I got aggressive. I ran into no trouble till the final table when MY AA got busted by TT which hit.

Key to me even getting to the FT was a very high 'see the flop' rate. Before the first table broke I was seeing 60% of the flops. Today I was hitting a lot of those, of the first 30 hands, 24 or 25 were legitimately mine whether there was a showdown or not. The cards were very favorable.

Today I was not raising anything preflop for the most part. A few perhaps early, but from then on, since I already had the loose image, I just called with my big cards, several times I watched as players who got fed up with me being in every pot, and seemingly steal most of them, move in on me when I had big cards. It got me to be massive chip leader going to the FT.

As usual tho, the Poker Gods in their infinite frivolity, decided to play with me. Along with the Final Table Jinx, which is where the Massive Chip Leader Flunks out more often than not, I was doomed.

This was largely experimental. I usually play a bit tighter, but still get bored. No boredom today. Boredom is the stack killer, and aggressive boredom is the railmaker.

Even after the first 30 hands, I kept in there, tho my 'see the flop%' was still high. I won a lot of those hands just by betting. Real Mike Sexton stuff. I'm guessing that since when I did get called down and Usually had the huge hands, every one else got a little gun shy. Today I noticed that happening after about the 3rd big showdown. It gave me a lot of opportunity to steal.

I was still in good shape till the end tho. And It was a nasty beat, I limped my ACES in, hoping someone else would pop it, they did, we got all our money in, I;m sure my AA's caused some heartburn, but the flop showed a T, to his TT and I was dead.

In this case, FT, 6 handed (I think), it wouldn't have mattered if I would have shoved up front, I'm pretty sure he would not have respected my bet because I had already been showing very loose.

The Card Gods gave me my comeuppance.

My point here, and my game of late has not been pair centric. It is connector centric, and weak. I'll get plenty of shit from our resident great players about limpy poker. But the way most people play tourneys today, this week, this month, a limpy weak aggressive style can work. Up to a point. This is associated with small ball poker, but is probably smaller and weaker than the vid by Dan Negraneau. It will not work against aggressive players unless the cards are coming as they did early for me today.

Of interest to me, today, is my raise /reraise ratio. It doesn't show it here, but at one point showed me having 29% reraise, vs 9% raise. As I know I reraised today more than raise, I think the stats are screwy.

Lest you all think this is normal for me, be aware, it is just a fleshing out of another aspect of my interpretation of poker.

Attachments

• bd1.JPG
    bd1.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 14