in what cases would you consider folding AA

C

Canwai

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In some cases definitely. One is when the tournament is coming to the ITM and I have few chips, but enough to win the prize, in this case I fold in AA.
When the cards at the table are very clear my defeat.
The AA fold is always very complicated.[emoji111]️

bbennie1

bbennie1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Aces in a multi-way pot are dangerous when they are willing to pay to see the turn or if it's just a very dangerous board like T-9-8 with two flush cards. Also, if it's like 6-max or 9-max and the other player calls and we got 90%+ chips left, I'm going to try and use pot control to win a small/mediocre pot. It's bad to be pot-committed like that, just because you have aces and still so many chips behind.
So it depends on your SPR really. I just had KK and I knew my opponents didn't have aces after 4-betting. So the flop came 652. My SPR was 1.5 so yeah then I'm committed on a board like that, even with two opponents. I put a small bet in cause one guy's crazy raising, but this time called so I knew he had a set or was drawing. Turn came 6. I know a 76 or 65 would be possible but then my SPR was already 0.7. Had the flop come T98 or AQQ I wouldn't even have put more chips in the pot and instafolded. Ofcourse the guy bluffed the turn and turned over 75 so very +EV for me.

Last edited:
W

wengz2002

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When you see threat from Flush! Like 4 Spades after Turn or River and you don't have Spade on your Aces!

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At the stage of the turn and the river when the probability of the combination of the opponent is very high.

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would fold AA preflop only in a satellite situation where I am guaranteed a seat if I fold, but calling off with AA would only yield an 80% chance to win (rather than 100%)

As for postflop, there are so many things to consider, how deep are stacks, what hands are in our opponents range, how likely he is to have improved.

Against very nitty opponents I can find the fold with AA. The main question to ask if 'would my opponent be playing like this with just one pair?' and that comes down to their tendencies as well as how much money they are putting in the pot.

Also remember, playing a defensive showdown strategy is always an option too. There's no rule that says you can't go into check call mode with AA on say a JT9 board. And against certain players if it gets too expensive, it can become a fold later. I really try to feel out the strength of my opponent based on their style of play and betting throughout the hand, tends to work out pretty well!

JJP

JJP

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I fold AA a lot postflop on bad boards. One pair is not that great of a hand in really big pots where 100s of blinds are going in.

Preflop though I would never fold unless it was a satellite situation and my current stack guaranteed whatever the top prize was.

dimon4ik89

dimon4ik89

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I do pass on AA in those cases when I am 100% sure that I am weaker. For example, when on the flop a flush, straight or full house and an aggressive opponent puts a big bet. Aggressive opponents also have good combinations, this should not be forgotten. Or if I make a bet in an early position and my opponent raises, then I also make a pass. I like to play cash carefully and not risk it when I’m not sure of my victory.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
when I choose to bet dear preflop and I'm paying. I never fold that hand. but if i decide to take risks and bet preflop and the flop is not for my benefit.in this case i can consider folding my AA.

C

cool3390

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just lost with AA on a board that had a flush that he didn't have and a straight he was chasing. He got it lol.

But sometimes you'll lose with AA the majority of times you'll win.

I think its better to fold them after the flop rather than before but in tournaments your also going for a coin toss so I could be wrong

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
on the bubble, post-flop with a pair on the board.

M

martinf1971

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The only time i fold pocket Aces is if i am really short stacked and theres a couple of places till i get in the bubble any other time i will only fold if theres a flush draw or straight draw or a paired board.

wyoming4paul

wyoming4paul

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
4 card open end straight or 4 card flush with a captain obvious better.

D

Dj_demain_matin

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If you play it right , préflop and after the flop, you should never have to fold AA.

aGreen

aGreen

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Only if flop really bad for me, something like K K K, or flash. but if my stack is ok, ill push^)

Folding in Poker