L

light65536

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I want to discuss raising and the reasons to raise:

* Raise when you have the best hand -- for value -- to get payed off
* Raise when the only way to win is to raise: to get others to fold.
* Raise to build a bigger pot when you have a draw to make it a better price to draw too.
* Raise to protect a probable best hand that might not turn out to be the best hand.

When NOT to raise:

* Do not raise when you are for sure or probably beat
* Do not raise when you are not likely to win or get a fold
* Do not raise when the only way someone calling you has you beat

The last one is important and it explains why I don't always raise. Let's say I have top pair and a flush is a possibility on a flush board. The only way someone is calling me ("should be") calling is if they have me beat therefore I wont raise.

This explains a lot about my game play and my mindset.

L

light65536

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Other reasons to raise that I thought of:

* Raise pre-flop to take down a flop post flop. This is a good reason to raise especially if you are playing pretty tight. It can also strengthen a hand. Say, I raise with A-10 (a marginal ace hand) and another intelligent player happens to call with A-J (a better marginal hand). He may fold because of his weak kicker. Or just to bluff

* Raise to put pressure on my opponents. One of my core concepts of playing poker is to apply maximum pressure on my opponents so that they will make a mistake.

* Raise to conceal a drawing hand. If I raise with both drawing and made hands then this is a good weapon.

* Raise to discover how strong your opponent is. If I have a good hand but not the best hand. I rather raise and know if I'm up against a sleeper then for it to hit me from the blind.

I think I got some good clarification on raising in uhm Phil Gordon's book. Let's say I have Ace high. My opponent checks. He could be checking with a weak pair. Let's say he'll never call without a pair and he'll never fold a pair. If I raise then I give him #1 control to re-raise me and #2 I'm only going to get a caller if I'm beat THUS I would check in this hypothetical situation.

D

Dayne G.

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I want to discuss raising and the reasons to raise:

* Raise when you have the best hand -- for value -- to get payed off
* Raise when the only way to win is to raise: to get others to fold.
* Raise to build a bigger pot when you have a draw to make it a better price to draw too.
* Raise to protect a probable best hand that might not turn out to be the best hand.

When NOT to raise:

* Do not raise when you are for sure or probably beat
* Do not raise when you are not likely to win or get a fold
* Do not raise when the only way someone calling you has you beat

The last one is important and it explains why I don't always raise. Let's say I have top pair and a flush is a possibility on a flush board. The only way someone is calling me ("should be") calling is if they have me beat therefore I wont raise.

This explains a lot about my game play and my mindset.

In the games I'm playing, not many people are folding (w/ reasonable piece), in fear of 3rd/4th level thinking... so the whole, "I'm only getting called by a hand that beats me" is WAY TOO WEAK!

I've actually heard this explanation quite a bit lately, for not putting in another bet on the end, but you're missing soooo much value if you miss those opportunities. Sure, you're going to get snapped a few times, but being afraid to bet because "he'll only call if I'm beat" can hurt long-term cash flow (and... those bets sure add up quickly).

Players are calling down soo much lighter than they used to. Take advantage of those specific players, and thank them for the extra change in your pocket! :cool:

-Dayne