I want to play live and have, but my bankroll doesnt support it

mbrenneman0

mbrenneman0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
bankroll depends on how much risk youre willing to take. And if youre a long term winning player or not. If youre not a winning player then your bank roll wouldnt matter because you would lose it anyway. Generally bank roll management tries to allow for less than 5% chance of busting your roll over a certain sample. Thats where the 20 buy ins comes from. If youre willing to take a higher risk of busting your roll then you can play a shorter bankroll. I forget what the math is but i think its exponentially higher chance of losing your bankroll as your roll gets shorter.

If the money is disposable to you, go for it. But understand youre more likely to lose the money than not in the long run if you are only playing with 5 buy ins.

To me, i like to use my imagination to help me with risk management, like this: imagine you go plsy tomorrow, and you just hit a bad run of cards and lose all 5 buy ins, how would you feel? What about losing half of your roll on the session? If either of those to scenarios would upset you significantly than you need to reevaluate your risk management

Last edited:
P

PyramidzPoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bankroll depends on how much risk youre willing to take. And if youre a lomg term winning player or not. If youre not a winning player then your bank roll wouldnt matter because you would lose it anyway. Generally bank roll management tries to allow for less than 5% chance of busting your roll over a certain sample. Thats where the 20 buy ins comes from. If youre willing to take a higher risk of busting your roll then you can play a shorter bankroll. I forget what the math is but i think its exponentially higher chance of losing your bankroll as your roll gets shorter.

If the money is disposable to you, go for it. But understand youre more likely to lose the money than not in the long run if you are only playing with 5 buy ins.

If I keep buying in at $100 i have about 16 buy ins now. Got lucky and won part of a jackpot while at a table. But thats only buying in at 50bb.

Stuey

Stuey

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
haha u got me there.. i probably still will cuz im confident, but with that being said, im still open to advice or strategy talks!

Buy a book from your winnings right now instead asking for a strategy on the forum. There is not enough time and space to write about some strategy for you because what you need is to have a certain mentality in order to beat the game. Luck or hitting flops and trying to make sets it's not gonna make you a winner. You need to understand and find out where the money are hidden in this game. It's not obvious and is very deceiving of what most people think how to play it in order to come out a winner.

Organize a Home Poker Game Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management