Did I really mess up this AQ?

C

champ_mc99

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Button: Player1 ( $1.61 USD ) - (71.43 / 7.14 / 16.67 / 14)
SB: Hero ( $4.16 USD ) - (21.23 / 14.85 / 7.81 / 13k)
CO: Player6 ( $2.73 USD ) - (50.0 / - / - / 2)

Hero posts small blind [$0.01 USD].
Player3 posts big blind [$0.02 USD].
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Hero [ Qd Ah ]
Player4 folds
Player5 folds
Player6 calls [$0.02 USD]
Player1 calls [$0.02 USD]
Hero raises [$0.10 USD]
Player3 folds
Player6 calls [$0.08 USD]
Player1 calls [$0.08 USD]
** Dealing Flop ** [ Qh, 4h, 5s ]
Hero bets [$0.24 USD into $0.32]
Player6 calls [$0.24 USD]
Player1 calls [$0.24 USD]
** Dealing Turn ** [ 2h ]
Hero shoves [$3.82 USD into $1.06]
Player6 calls [$2.39 USD] - shows 5c 5h
Player1 calls [$1.27 USD] - shows 7h 7t
Hero returned $1.43 USD
Player1 wins $4.68 USD
Player6 wins $2.16 USD

C

champ_mc99

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Decided to iso preflop.
Bet big into flop for value/deny equity.

Turn card was pretty scary. But I figured my Ah gave me some equity as well as the gutshot straight. Given that player 1 only had a pot sized bet left, I felt like the SPR was low enough for me to just shove? I guess I could check but didn't want to give away a free card and lose value.

Now that I look back on it, I don't know what second best hands would have called my shove (maybe any heart, a 3 or a KQ?). I definitely would not have without the Ah and the gutshot.

k0dka

k0dka

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Decided to iso preflop.
Bet big into flop for value/deny equity.

Turn card was pretty scary. But I figured my Ah gave me some equity as well as the gutshot straight. Given that player 1 only had a pot sized bet left, I felt like the SPR was low enough for me to just shove? I guess I could check but didn't want to give away a free card and lose value.

Now that I look back on it, I don't know what second best hands would have called my shove (maybe any heart, a 3 or a KQ?). I definitely would not have without the Ah and the gutshot.

I would not shove the turn - as you said, there are very few second-best hands that will call. With this shove, you are essentially forcing your opponents to play well.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would not shove the turn - as you said, there are very few second-best hands that will call. With this shove, you are essentially forcing your opponents to play well.

Actually one of them did call with a worse hand: 77. It just did not help anything, because the other guy flopped a set on hero, so he was almost dead on the flop. I agree, that the turn jam is an overplay though. Its not great, that draws came in, so I might even check here. And if I bet, I choose a standard size, which leave me room to still fold. Maybe 50c or something.

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you did not play this hand badly, it was very difficult for the villain with the set to fold and you also had some out for the river to win the hand, in particular I think it was good to take risks it was not easy to see that the opponent had a set and the flush you had the Ah so it was not so easy to see

LevySystem

LevySystem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Now that I look back on it, I don't know what second best hands would have called my shove

This pretty much. Think about the combinations that call your shove. Qx and only if you play a massive spew fish. There is only 2 Q left in the deck, therefore getting value from them is not likely. Therefore what you are essentialy doing is turning TPTK into a bluff on the turn.

Having a gutter there (bottom straight keep in mind) is a nice addition to the hand but doesn't really matter in this spot imo. Unless you have a passive player that gives you equity for free here.

G

gamerwin123

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Eh it's pretty much a cooler, whats not a cooler is you jamming turn. So many draws get there, I would like a smaller bet size or a check. Top pair is rarely good on a wet board with 2 callers.

Maybe bet more pre too. 12-14c

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Eh it's pretty much a cooler, whats not a cooler is you jamming turn. So many draws get there, I would like a smaller bet size or a check. Top pair is rarely good on a wet board with 2 callers.

Maybe bet more pre too. 12-14c

Exactly. The turn we should be slowing down since you get called on the flop. Just a cooler though.

C

champ_mc99

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks guys, I agree should have slowed down turn.

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As stated by others, we got action here from 77 who was drawing to two outs and somehow ended up winning the hand? So the narritive that worse hands will not call is false. I think at these stakes we get action from Qx and even some weaker under pairs as we see here and some flush or straight draws. I do think the turn sizing was too large but realistically we are never folding against these two guys with TPTK and the nut flush draw (blocking the nuts) and given the pot size and the remaining stacks and V stats. As we can see the 71% VPIP short stack is capable of showing up with garbage. And we have no reads on the CO so it will be tough to get away unless they both flat turn and we x river and CO jams. Even then we will likely be getting a pretty good price. I would probably have gone 65 cents on the turn to charge smaller Qx and the draws but with our relative hand strength, pot size, and equity I'm finding it really tough to come up with a scenario where we fold this river in a massive pot, maybe if the 3 comes off leaving two 1 card straights we can find the fold. If BTN can have 77 here then CO could show up with something like KhQx and given the price if we make a bad fold it would be a disaster.

A

abpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I actually don't think you messed it up. Arguments can be made for playing differently, or the same, but I don't think there's a clear right or wrong here. As played, even though you were unfortunately up against a better hand that in hindsight was not going to fold, you still had a lot of outs to win it.

I

ios

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
Shoving after turn was a little bit gambling. Why building so big pot, with only one pair/flush draw? Looks like you were tilted and trying to fast win some money.

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think having two calls on your pretty big size raise, you had to assume the existence of small pocket pairs at least one of your opponents, your rather large bet on the flop is not particularly giving you information about the approximate strength of your opponents hand, but on the turn received two call's aggression was just too much, to risk my stack on only one older couple with the reaction of the opponents seems a bit rushed. But of course traps with sets are usually the most unexpected and it is very difficult not to get caught. Good luck!:)

johnnylawford

johnnylawford

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Could you have check/called the turn? Also, what calls your flop bet that doesn't either have it or get there on the turn apart from KQ? I wonder if you could have gotten away from the river if he jammed, versus getting stacked on the turn.

J

Julez97

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pre-flop is fine. Bet sizing on the flop is quite large. At higher stakes I might use a 1/2 pot size, as we block top pair, and the nut flush draw. So we might lose value by folding out worse hands. However, at these stakes, I think the larger size plays better, as fishy players are inelastic, and don't really care about sizing as much. So go ahead and exploit them.

The turn is where this hand goes off the rails. You have a strong hand. And a redraw to the nuts if you are behind. If you were heads up against the BTN, than I think its a good play. SPR would be nearly 1:1, so he will likely commit his stack with a bunch of top pair hands, some draws, and maybe just a pair, as he does with 77.

The problem is that you are not heads up. The CO is still in the hand, and he has over 100bb behind. When you overbet jam so large, you allow him to really play perfectly. He will never call you with worse than TP, and probably only his best TP like AQ, and KQ, usually with a flush draw. All of his pure draws, and worse pairs can easily fold. He's also going to call with all of his sets, and made flushes. This makes your jam an incredibly bad play, because you maximize the amount you lose, and minimize the amount you can win.

There is no harm in betting a normal size, or even just check-calling this spot.