HU against mr random

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First thing he does is lay down an aggro image, stealing frequently, 3betting too frequently for his hands to all be premiums. Then he goes ahead and starts doing really weird and kind of contradictory plays like checking behind a strong, obvious valuebet with TP, and then donking 3 streets with a weaker pair. Slowplaying trips to death on a drawy board, then playing another made hand on a dry flop fast.

It's pretty hard painting the picture of a HU player since it all depends on game flow and all that bunk, but how the hell do we beat a player like this? One who constantly switches up his play so that you basically can't pin him on a hand?

vanq, I need to talk HU btw, am thinking about making a full move...

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
PM me and we can talk about thangz

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe make that you? Seriously though remember HU all draws are less likely, so checking behind TP on a drawy board isn't horrible.

Basically my goal in HU cash is to establish a maniac image, stealing blinds left and right with ATC basically. Then when villain starts to play back at you frequently to the point where you know he's 3-betting light you can then 4-bet him light and show the bluff. At that point villain now thinks you're a donk who goes crazy with ATC. Try to keep that image up while waiting for a premium or to hit a flop hard, and then cash in on it. Note that this also means you can be value betting middle pair and such. Basically you want to bring the opponent out of their comfort zone. Now obviously this doesn't work against good players, and I don't understand how good players (even with an edge) can beat good players and the rake. The rake's just so huge in a HU cash game (same rake, only split by 2 people) that I think the only way to get a significant edge is to get a villain to stack light and then get the stack. As you go up in limits I don't understand how you can beat the better players and the rake. Obviously people do, and I'm obviously no pro at heads up, but I just don't see how you can have a big enough edge against people at upper limits to beat the rake. I have fun stacking donks at 50nl every once in a while, but I've never taken it any more seriously than that.