How to play AK when it misses the flop?

dedok0525

dedok0525

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I will try to simulate the situation. Suppose that my opponent is very cautious, I have a suited ak, I make a standard raise. My opponent calls, ak10 comes out on the flop, my opponent checks, I raise again and my opponent calls again, j comes out ... so that I understand the leader or my opponent’s straight, I have to bet. It is necessary, because we both play only strong hands and in order not to lose a lot or earn a lot, I have to understand where I am. Without a bet you can not continue.

And the size of the bet depends on the stage of the game, the size of our stacks and my opponent, and the position at the table. Continuation bets are very important. You can not bluff, but playing in the blind, you will never win a normal tournament.

O

oliver321

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
would not bet if i missed the flop unless there is a straight of flush out there.But you could raise 4x if you have tight players ahead of you.

GordyPoker

GordyPoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends who called pre - if it’s HU I c-bet 100% when I whiff! May have to reassess flip of 3+ call

M

Mc_Terp

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Especially out of position.

Do we check for showdown value since we don't know where we're at or bet as a bluff? Obviously its situation dependent but would like to hear some thoughts. :)

There are like you said a lot of factors, but I think most importantly would be betting/ checking based on flop textures and base your bets off the ranges you have vs what they are likely to have. If you have more specific situations I think we could give better answers!

K

kdawg71

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would definitely check. Why? Let's see, each opponent that you are playing against has roughly a 43% chance of having a pair at this moment. How did I come up with this magical number? First, each opponent has a 1/17 chance of having a pocket pair. Than if the board hasn't paired than you are looking at 3 chances for each card which equals 9 cards X their two cards X 2 = roughly 36 to 37 % add the 5.8% for the pocket pair and you are looking at roughly 42 to 43% chance of each opponent on the board having at least one pair. Now if you put your opponents on anything from A K to J 10 suited than you kind of have a feel for where everything is at this point, that being said one has to watch out for the small pocket pairs that hit for a set. You're out of position. Logic would dictate to me to just check. I take for granted that you raised preflop with this hand and most players would tell you to go ahead with a followup bet and that sense to me as well. That way you have an idea where you are standing at this point, and can easily throw them away if you get re -raised or you dont hit your cards and someone else bets. Bye bye!!! Like I said if it were me, seeing as how I have a passive aggressive persona than I would just check and if someone bets depending on the size of the bet I would probably just chunk the A K and never look back.

U

UncleConRon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion

You have to watch the previous flops. If aces and kings were just on the table the previous flops chances are they not going to flop again. You also habe to pay attention to when you just had slick. If the last two times you had slick you didn't hit then play slick cause slick is probably going to hit. If you just hit with slick it is a good idea to limp or fold. Slick wins about forty five percent of time unless whole table calls. Thea means if you just hit then it is probably on the losing slick.

Reload

Reload

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree that playing this hand, can be a real pain sometimes. Seeing the turn is always a good option, but more that that, only if you read that opponent scares easily with a big raise, but be careful, what you think it's not really always what it is.

D

djsviga

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It will always depend on the board texture, yr position, and yr opponents range. GL!

B

BesseNuts

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its not an algorithm to me. Depends on the other player, or the others. Positions. Just carefull, an AK can drop you down easily.

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Some thoughts: If we are out of position and in 3-bet Bank and we are preflop aggressor then more often need Cbet to bluff. In other situations more often Fold.

jmateuspoker

jmateuspoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK missed flop

Well I try to understand the opponent if he is calling station is best to control the pot, not lead more bets if he NIT or Tight I try one second barrel and depends on various stack of contexts if I have a good stack should play more aggressive but if I have a smaller stack play I try hitting the flop and also depends on the tournament go sit try to hit the flop already more | MTT especially at the beginning that we are deep stacks try to win the pots that then enter work within that philosophy and strategy

:jd4:mateuspoker

F

fastfash25

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK

I usually always fire another bet. see where your at

S

Streetwylde

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Like most things in poker it depends on lots of things. The standard I believe is if you opened and you miss the flop you throw out a C-Bet most times see where you are against your opponents. If you say have a few opponents and the flop looks ugly like chance for straights or Flush or pair on flop then you are better off saving those chips. Again it depends on situation.

K

kristersb123

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it's worth to bet, if you miss again and think your opponent is stronger then fold

A

acemenow

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So much to consider no standard answer. For example how many in the hand? If two or less in it, Often I C-bet this hand. But where I am, in position, M value, which cards flopped et. all play into the decision to say the least.