How much time do you take to make a decision?

Comdemn

Comdemn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have been reviewing hands and I feel that many times I make a decision to quickly. How much time do you take per decision? Pre Flop? Flop? Turn? River? Do you quickly make bets sometimes? Thanks everyone.

Basically, I make a decision quickly, but sometimes, for example, to hide the power of my hand or to bluff, I use time-banking to confuse my opponent. When my opponents make a quick check for the flop, I can see if they hit the table, for example if I see a very fast check or bet I get a pony that either the opponent does not have one, or he checked quickly to hide a very strong hand (for example a set), here I am helped by my experience and appreciated the game of the enemy in the previous distributions, I can draw conclusions about this!
Intuition also plays a big role. When it's time to fly out to a small number of players, you can also use slowplay and time, in some cases it's more important to wait for the shot and automatically get into the prize zone, allowing other players to show activity. In such cases, it is not worth risking and it is necessary to discard even very strong hands, having exhausted all the time allotted to your move!:)

A

Anders1616

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playing no limit holdem, i will just take a 2-3 seconds to make my move.
Lately i have been playing Omaha H/L and there i need more time to check the different possibilities. And i think that the same goes fore my opponents.

BobbyMorton

BobbyMorton

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it depends on the situation how long you take,then again sometimes you take to long change your mind and make the wrong decision.

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
A long thought is 10 seconds. It isn't chess. It takes much longer to decide dinner.

G

gabethegimp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've worked out the math within a few seconds - my brain is like a calculator when it's awake. Then I can focus on reading notes or picking up patterns.

On bigger calls or if I want to look "uncertain" ill use time. Other than that, online, most choices are done fast for me.

Live is a different beast and big choices can take some time while you do a play by play trying ti figure out why somebody bet into you full pot on a dry board while you're holding aces and wondering if you've been sucked out. Esp if they have you covered.

Fyi - they usually have it and I go get a stiff drink.

teteuc2

teteuc2

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Usually I decide quickly. I always try to anticipate the opponent's moves

M

Manifestor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
always fast, up to 20 seconds, maximum one minute )

C

clasrasmusso

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on the bay type of opponent you have and how these play, but usually I make quick decisions.

G

Grearix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most of my moves are decided already just before it's my turn.

P

pokijh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It all depends really. In MTTs I am faster. But usually I think of what I am going to do in different situations before the hand gets to me. Also I like multitabling so I have to be quick.

lexaplis

lexaplis

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
as taught by samurai, the correct decision is taken within 7 breaths and exhalations)

IamVALHALLA

IamVALHALLA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pre-flop my decision is almost instant; as soon as my hand is dealt. I know what I'm going to do with each hand.

My decision changes depending on what happens before the action is on me. For example - I'm dealt 88 and I plan to open raise with them, but there is a raise and a 3-bet before me, so my decision now changes to "fold".

Perhaps I should take more time to decide but I'm extremely impatient.

Mikeisanace777

Mikeisanace777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's tough

If your playing against one bettors/check callers the decision is cake and pretty straightforward but with modern poker being about Positive EV plays, bluff outs and 3 bets it gets trickier with deep stacks in tournament play particular. You can have a hand like QJ suited in hearts in the blinds and flop 2 pair on a board like QJ4 2 clubs and bet 80% of the pot and get a flat call to a guy in position with ak offsuit or 9-10 suited in diamonds. As the turn rolls to a 6 of clubs it gets tricker you assume he's on the flush draw but he's really not and based on his position it gives him bluff leverage with additional real outs! If you check and he as these draws he will take a free card 50% of the time and the other 50 bet strong, conversely he will also bet strong when he has say a9 clubs and made his flush when you check and will also reraise you turn bet with air and the made nut flush a good 30 to 50% of the time. If you 3 bet him to a reraise he could bet real huge or shove if he has the made hand, or he would also do this if he has you covered by a good amount so the villain won't mind giving you the opportunity to fold or gamble for Broadway with AK and will definitely do this with 9-10 wrong suited. So it's nearly a flipish to dead scenario with you needing to fill up or your 2 pair is good right now this is why poker is fun.

A

agriggy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
depends at what is at stake, less time in earlier position as I have more chances to hit my hand. Also depends on my hole cards pre flop and what p;ercentage of my chips are at risk.

R

RhoadesHoyle

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
what are betting and timing tells a rookie should look for when deciding what to do?

aqqr

aqqr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have been reviewing hands and I feel that many times I make a decision to quickly. How much time do you take per decision? Pre Flop? Flop? Turn? River? Do you quickly make bets sometimes? Thanks everyone.

Hey. Try to do all the actions with the same time interval. For simplicity, use a "Bet Slider". For example, I have this: 33%, 55%, 71%, 149%. Often, players with a bluff put very quickly, and think for a long time over the size of the bet when they have the nuts. Use it for your own purposes.