2 years. Then Black Friday happened. End of story. -__-

RegHC23

RegHC23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I started with 90 dollars and I have worked that into 900 dollars in 1 year. It has been tough at times and sometimes it works really well. I am just trying to be a complete player and be good at both tournament and cash games. It is going well but I have seemed to hit a wall and now I need to just go back and keep working on my game. Keep up your passion and keep striving to be the best.

playtheman

playtheman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I started with 90 dollars and I have worked that into 900 dollars in 1 year. It has been tough at times and sometimes it works really well. I am just trying to be a complete player and be good at both tournament and cash games. It is going well but I have seemed to hit a wall and now I need to just go back and keep working on my game. Keep up your passion and keep striving to be the best.

my play at the moment (including swings) lets me stay even at 4nl. which i guess is good, im not losing but im not winning loads either. so i can learn

AlfieAA

AlfieAA

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've been playing 11 months and go up and down at 2nl lol

Aleksei

Aleksei

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm still breakeven, but I just don't have enough volume yet and I have no roll (mainly I play HU against a 50NL friend of mine to keep my game sharp). I'm pretty sure I'm well-versed enough in the theory to beat the micros (up to 10NL at least) because I do nothing BUT examine and reexamine the math of the game, but while I do make some sick leveling reads sometimes I can't confidently say I can beat a reg-infested level yet. :D

T

terminaex

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Making the transition

Like most other players. Started playing friendly home games. Really took a liking to the blend between math, psychology and statistics of the game.

Played poker with play money for a while started racking in a lot of play chips (4 months).

Tried my hand at online poker after my friend told me about his first final table win. Made several deposits over span on a month and lost entire roll of $100 at 5c/10c both rush and cash games.

Took a break from the game and began seriously re-evaluating my strategy. 2 months later made a $20 deposit. Now my bankroll is $200 after 3 months of play. Halfway into my 5th month now but my roll still hovering at the $200 range. Now playing 2c/5c rush and $1 SNG.

K

kmbpoker

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
been playing for a while and brs consistantly growing is a matter of prospective. if your total worth is your br as is the case with some rounders and has been with myself,you may not have 1 cent more at the end of the month than you started with maybe even less , there are swings in poker no matter how good you are, but at the end of the year and at the end of the decade you have managed to get some change put away then that would be consistant growth, anything else to me is speculative

Skull_Sniper

Skull_Sniper

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ive been playing for nearly 4 months online.

I started with 10 dollars, got to 60 dollars playing sngs went down to 40 dollars.

Switched to cash and have been staying on the same amount for the last 3 months.

So for the amount i win, i have leaks and lose, i know this and im reading more poker theory instead of just playing without knowing about different techniques and hand ranges etc.
So my question is , how long did it take you to become profitable. and what was the clicking point in your head that changed you from a loser to a winner

thanks
Well, I'm sure my story and thoughts will certainly differ from other players (as it should :), but the way it happened for me was a little unusual and totally unexpected. When I first started playing online poker in 2005 I was still learning real life techniques and strategies. My father was doing pretty well online, so I decided to give it a try. Obviously at first I wasn't winning much, because I realized I still had a lot to learn, and with all the information available to all players: books; online; sometimes TV; there's a lot of amateur players that know a lot more than I do. While learning hands-on playing on the field is the best way to learn. It certainly doesn't hurt to learn some things from someone who's won millions or even hundreds of thousands playing poker. So, I decided to start absorbing as much pro knowledge as I could, and I did that using the examples I used above. I read a tournament poker book by Tom McEvoy; I read Doyle Brunson's Super Systems; and another book I really like by a man named Ken Warren called Ken Warren Teaches Texas Hold'em. The last book I mentioned to me was a really good and easy to understand read that I really enjoyed, and it taught me a lot. After I really learned a lot and became a much better player I was playing at full tilt poker exclusively. I was playing very well and running deep in some big tournaments, but I would always fall short of the really good money. It took me two years after Black Friday to finally realize that all the tourneys I played in were always 1,000 players or more. Therefore it's like playing a mini wsop event every time I play. Around three months ago (after a two year break) I decided to find a poker room that would allow U.S. players, so I could go ahead and give it another shot. What I found out is that most of the sites that allow U.S. players to play have a lot less traffic. This means that the MTTs I play in don't run in the thousands, but run in just hundreds or even just 60 - 90 players in the higher staked tourneys. What that translates for me is that I'm cashing ITM a lot more, and I play with the same players often which gives me the advantage (which can also be mutual). Basically what this long diary of a post boils down to is this: Playing 4 years at Full Tilt I never got my account over two grand and only cashed out a small amount a few times. Playing at a small room with less players I've brought my bankroll from $30 to over $7,000 in less than 4 months. Granted I did make 3 or 4 $30 deposits before it took off, but at most that's a $120 investment at most, but at one time about 4 weeks ago after I made a with drawl I dropped my account down to just $10 and I was worried. I started playing the $1 and $2 double ups until my account was at $35 and then I played two $3 tourneys and won one for $85, after that it was back up to $1,000 within a week playing MTTs with less than 300 players and of course NO TURBOS lol. I could never do that at a poker room with tens of thousands of players. I don't know if I really said anything that would constitute as a good answer for your question, but I hope it gives you something good to feed on. Ok, my fingers are tired. CHEERS!

G

GWU73

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Live - almost immediately. Due to my urgent need to eat and innate nittynes.

Online - I was winning tournaments right away, losing at cash. ( I would win it in tourneys, and sit n go's then lose it at the cash tables) It took about 6 months of actually playing online spread over about a year and a half to really get it and establish a solid win rate.

J

jcdagenius

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
takes awhile to gow your roll....you have to know more then the average player for sure.

RodneyC86

RodneyC86

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I started winning 2 nl immediately. Never redeposited. My first experience with poker was play money in an online game. Even with tight passive strategy, I was able to get some money without a Hud.

Played for more than a year now, tanking in 10nl.

playtheman

playtheman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
doesnt seem to matter a shit if you have a good hand or not, you get donks shoving 10 2 suited vs your kings and they suck you out with flushes or 2 pair.

this is happening way to much

RodneyC86

RodneyC86

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
doesnt seem to matter a shit if you have a good hand or not, you get donks shoving 10 2 suited vs your kings and they suck you out with flushes or 2 pair.

this is happening way to much

Man, stop whining! It doesn't help anyone, not even yourself. First step is to stop whining about these things and be glad people still shove the Doyle into your KK

playtheman

playtheman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Man, stop whining! It doesn't help anyone, not even yourself. First step is to stop whining about these things and be glad people still shove the Doyle into your KK

your right, the funny thing is i know i want this to happen, im just pissed it back fired,

i suppose i should be glad people willingly shove these hands.

i need to stop whining and start winning!

forgive me for my pansy post above

D

Dom1

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Make sure your getting good volume in also,to allow for variance

Katyushka4

Katyushka4

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
My point was activated when I had difficulties with money. Beginning with the freeroll. I played a disciplined and responsible. Then he went to the tournament. Now always play with brains. Do not run the risk.

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management