How do you play KK on an Ahigh board

neiroob

neiroob

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm ready to argue, and if I get a raise, he will have an ace, and then have to give up.

NBDG8477

NBDG8477

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it really depends on how the action went pre flop ..if it went raise then 3 bet and you 4 bet and they call id be worried about 10s plus ,and Ax ..if it went you raise and they just call they could just have ace rag ,or small pocket pairs or some kind of connecting cards there trying to get lucky with ..either way you look at it unless you trip up kings play it cautious . gl pal

xxxREAPERxxx

xxxREAPERxxx

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If i preflop bet KK obviously i have to throw continuation bets out there but to a minimum so i wont reveal that my hand is weak to the board,but if i call preflop bet with KK i have to play it safe and just call unless the bets are too large then i know im beat.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
in a single raised pot Heads up IP I'll likely Cbet my normal Cbet size and then pot control afterwards if I'm called. Multiway IP I'll check it back and see about getting 1 street of value later, or possibly bluff catching later or just giving up.

OOP heads up I'll usually check call vs. all but the tightest most straightforward guys.

OOP multiway I'll just check fold.

Garfield52

Garfield52

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
be VEEERRRRYYYYYYYYYYY CAREFUL playing he KK when an ace shows up on the flop. I got burned more than my fair share of times.

HAMC81

HAMC81

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if its heads up I usually test bet and call 1 street,

in multiway pots is usually check/fold

inflmara

inflmara

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
aggressive and fold if people aren't scared off fold

M

Mrjamesbond1977

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would check it but if the opponent makes a huge bet i lay it down

Last edited:
TheFenomen

TheFenomen

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
pot control on dry boards, and we were able to bet on boards with draws, 1-2 streets of value

N

NoETdrizzle

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd say it also depends on the stakes. At the microstakes, people see Aces in their hand and start putting chips in. People also don't bluff very often at these stakes.

jmateuspoker

jmateuspoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
KK BOARD A HIGH

A board with A so the important thing is not to get to LIMP, if the opponent bets I bet again if he checks I bet finally have to try to see if the opponent is with the put a hand over two incoming I do not I bet more

:jd4:mateuspoker

Wiltz82

Wiltz82

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would try and bluff try to make him think you have AK or something play to the turn card maybe youll hit a K and be good but wouldn’t fold KK with just an A on the flop

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Keep the pot small. Checking or using blocker bets to keep it as small as possible. You still have showdown value but the last thing you want is to get sucked out by an ace for all of your chips. Aim to control the pot size and it will be a lot less harmful for you. If you face large raises/re-raises then (as hard as it sounds) you might have to lay the KK down :(

Also, what you do post-flop will massively depend on how they played pre-flop and if you know how they play in general.

I agree. One of the top four hands and having to fold is one of the hardest things to teach myself. Lead off with a reasonable raise, but stay small. I feel like the pot calling the kettle black.

oneybiggs

oneybiggs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As cheaplyas possible is the only appropriate answer I could come up with.9 times out of ten I fold KK with an A hitting the board but every now n then there's a small tell or a gut instinct that whispers "your in with a chance" gl all.

VisionNutz

VisionNutz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just wanted to get some thoughts on how other people played this. Check fold, play aggro, peel off a street? Keep going all the way?

Many ways to play it - I just recently won a hand with cowboys on a Ace high board where villain flopped the Ace rag pair as well.

Runner runner clubs for the flush and I took down the pot.

Its a topic that will continue to riddle even the best players just like playing JJ from any position.

F

fatshady21

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on the position you have on the table if you are big blind,button or under the gun then you make a raise pre-flop if you are in the middle you simply call and then a small raise on the flop.

J

james bright

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just wanted to get some thoughts on how other people played this. Check fold, play aggro, peel off a street? Keep going all the way?
Usually its a push all in preflop if i do limp and ace hits definatly a check and fold hopefully it gets checked down im not gonna bet or call its the same for me flopping all second pairs gotta be able to fold man!!!!

Justin Bloomquist

Justin Bloomquist

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would see the turn and then go all in if no one bets. I am good at reading people for the most part

J

jokr23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would likely base it on a few things which includes the other cards that are on the board (other than and including Ace) to see if it may loose to a straight or flush type. I would probably also base it on the way people are betting or not. If its a big raise and looks like there is too much possibly of loosing I would likely fold but few action or a small bet I may raise or bet accordingly.

Still too many variables to give a solid answer as other people pointed out so perhaps more info may be better if analyzing a specific hand of something that has occurred.

Nelly404

Nelly404

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I give the basic bet only and I raise when I see the cards in the table.

ff48

ff48

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you hope to win it with showdown you must wait until he bets, because there is no way he's calling being weaker then you are.

L

lewis99

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
gday all..u have to follow with a continuing bet to see where u stand...then react to calls or raise.....darrell

P

popstani

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Check-call is reasonable play, but check- raise some times if you’re initial raiser

J

Joe702

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Out of position I would throw in a strong bet and hope he has kicker issues...