How do you play AKs to a Cold 4!?

Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is from a .05/.10 (6 Max) Fast game at ACR today.

I opened +2 with A2hh to $.22. +3 raises to $.75 BTN Folds.
A tight winning player in the SB makes it $2.48 with KK.
The BB then cold shoves for $10 with AKcc. Of course I fold as does the PF 3 bettor in the CO.
Based on the PF action this seemed to be a massive overplay, but if so, what is the correct play? I probably fold AKo but folding AKs seems way too nitty for $10nl. Do you flat 25bb's? If so what's your plan when you miss the flop? Worse yet, what's your plan when you hit the flop? Honestly, I think the right play might be to just nit it up and fold. Am I wrong?

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I think it should be a fold. Whether I could find the fold in game is another matter! Against 3 uncapped ranges AKs will be in bad shape and you cant flat as someone else might shove, forcing you to call off or fold. Even if you call and no one shoves it will be so hard to play post flop.

Also at 10NL people have very few 3bet and 4 bet bluffs so even more reason to fold

Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As played I agree although this could be exploitable at higher limits. Facing some rando opponent or a known basket case I think I like the shove. Tell me, is there ever a calling range, 4! range? If so what are your value hands, AA KK only? What are your bluffs? What bet sizing? I don't think you can ever 4! fold.

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
As played I agree although this could be exploitable at higher limits. Facing some rando opponent or a known basket case I think I like the shove. Tell me, is there ever a calling range, 4! range? If so what are your value hands, AA KK only? What are your bluffs? What bet sizing? I don't think you can ever 4! fold.
I dont think there is any need to defend your BB to a cold 4 bet as you have so little invested. I think bluffs would be suicide, if you want to bluff AK is it as it has the best blockers.

I would only call or raise with hands I was happy getting it in with, i.e. AA or KK. I think I would just raise rather than call as you just invite the other players in by calling with a chance to suck out on you.

Would be a tough spot with QQ but probably a fold

rastapapolos

rastapapolos

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
This is a cash game, so fold and wait for a better spot.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One of the things, which really skyrocketed my winrate, when I played cash games, was learning, that AK can be folded to a 4-bet+. In this situation it even seem like a pretty easy fold, because its a cold 4-bet, and the player with AK is not yet involved in the action, so its not like, he is getting any kind of price. Often the rationale for the player refusing to fold AK will be blockers. But if the cold 4-betting range is KK and AA, which it very often is, then blockers will reduce the frequenzy, with which the 4-bet happen, but when it does come, the range is still KK and AA. So the player with AK always get it in bad, and then he complain, how he always get coolered ;)

lukaszkrzi

lukaszkrzi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In this situation, it seems that the BB's play of shoving with AKcc for $10 is a massive overplay. The correct play would be to fold A2hh in this situation, as you are likely to be dominated by both the initial raiser's KK and the BB's AKcc.
At the $10nl level, it might be tempting to flat 25bb's with AKs, but this would be a mistake as it is not a very strong hand, and you will likely miss the flop often. If you do hit the flop, it can be difficult to know how to proceed, and you may end up losing a lot of chips.
It is generally better to play tight and fold in situations like this, rather than risking losing a lot of chips with a marginal hand. While it may seem nitty, it is important to remember that the goal of the game is to make as much money as possible, and folding is often the best way to accomplish this.

johnwat2

johnwat2

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Hi.
What are the terms AKcc and A2hh?

R

Rmi

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Always for value, multiway pots are tricky and you lose a lot unnecessarily.

Baldy86

Baldy86

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i would have called and see the flop and then act from there . shoving with AK against a reraising nit while there is so much action preflop is definitely not the way i would like to play tbh