How do you define "ready to move up" ?

SeaRun

SeaRun

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Over the last 14k hands you are winning at 17bb/100 (as you say in above post) so it doesn't matter that you have lost 14 pots of over 100bb. You can't win every pot as they say, losing pots is normal due to beats/coolers/mistakes/running into the top of fish's ranges etc, as long as you are winning overall that's all that matters.

OK, so normal with room for improvement in other words.

What makes me think it's abnormal is I see so many good players who's graphs seem to be on a fairly steady incline without significant peaks and valleys, while mine looks like the friggin' Himalayas:

vdavpfr.png

Enesem, again, not trying to jack the thread, but I think this side discussion is probably pertinent to the overall thread.

E

enesem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

What makes me think it's abnormal is I see so many good players who's graphs seem to be on a fairly steady incline without significant peaks and valleys, while mine looks like the friggin' Himalayas:

Enesem, again, not trying to jack the thread, but I think this side discussion is probably pertinent to the overall thread.

Happy to have you in the thread and very relevant.

From where I sit I would class this as doing extremely well at this level, well done.

micromachine

micromachine

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

There is always room for improvement ofc ;)

No, those peaks and valleys are totally normal, in fact I would say that's a pretty smooth incline! Looks like you are doing really well, you should be happy.

Like from 1.3k --> 2.7k you had a 5 buy-in downswing…totally standard

Mr Sandbag

Mr Sandbag

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Enesem, I think you are looking for a very specific answer that you're not going to get.

You're not going to become a crusher by playing at any one level. The underlying goal of starting at the bottom and working up is to slowly but surely build a skill set. Maybe you won't be using advanced plays much at the lower levels, but the idea is to put in enough volume to not only prove profitability but to hammer certain basic skills into your mind so that they become second nature. You're also learning to recognize and exploit a few common player types. When you move up to the next level, you'll be exposed to new player types and have to acquire/learn new skills to win. And the process repeats with every level. Think of it like a game of basketball. Anyone can learn to dribble in a short period of time, but dribbling is borderline instinct for the pros. They've done it so many times that they're not even thinking about it in-game and can focus on other things.

As for the question about when to move up, there is no definitive answer. If you are beating a level only very marginally, you may want to stay and focus on cleaning up some flaws in your game. If you are constantly getting frustrated against bad players, you should probably avoid moving up under the illusion that you'll somehow succeed against better players. Moving up too quickly can maybe "leave some skills behind," and you'll eventually wonder why you've plateaued.

Also, nobody said you have to play strictly at one level then move up and play only that higher level. You can practice shot taking the higher level every once in awhile. It will give you a taste of what is to come, ease you into the new environment, give you an idea of what parts of your game to work on, and even give you a fresh perspective on your current level.

E

enesem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Enesem, I think you are looking for a very specific answer that you're not going to get.

You're not going to become a crusher by playing at any one level. The underlying goal of starting at the bottom and working up is to slowly but surely build a skill set. Maybe you won't be using advanced plays much at the lower levels, but the idea is to put in enough volume to not only prove profitability but to hammer certain basic skills into your mind so that they become second nature. You're also learning to recognize and exploit a few common player types. When you move up to the next level, you'll be exposed to new player types and have to acquire/learn new skills to win. And the process repeats with every level. Think of it like a game of basketball. Anyone can learn to dribble in a short period of time, but dribbling is borderline instinct for the pros. They've done it so many times that they're not even thinking about it in-game and can focus on other things.

As for the question about when to move up, there is no definitive answer. If you are beating a level only very marginally, you may want to stay and focus on cleaning up some flaws in your game. If you are constantly getting frustrated against bad players, you should probably avoid moving up under the illusion that you'll somehow succeed against better players. Moving up too quickly can maybe "leave some skills behind," and you'll eventually wonder why you've plateaued.

Also, nobody said you have to play strictly at one level then move up and play only that higher level. You can practice shot taking the higher level every once in awhile. It will give you a taste of what is to come, ease you into the new environment, give you an idea of what parts of your game to work on, and even give you a fresh perspective on your current level.

Again, I was just asking what each of you thought would define beating. I am not sure what i am going to do with the info, at this stage just hearing opinions is useful.

I appreciate your comments, thanks.

Last edited: