How to defend yourself from aggressive players?

wagon596

wagon596

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This was something hard for me to accept about myself, Just because I'm a good player at micro stakes sure didn't apply at higher stakes. For what that's worth...

Sil3ntness

Sil3ntness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The higher the stakes the quicker you get your ass handed to you. I've found that out the hard way :(

rogerdelpk

rogerdelpk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
best way of defending yourself is to wait for having a fairly good hand, and then keep calling him, giving him rope to hang himself.

D

da_goat

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
always been told the defense is a good offense. and first punch wins 99% of the fights.sometimes you just have to come over the top of these guys. see what their range is. im only talking about the ones who are just playing to make you fold. note those guys. it does drive one crazy to feel like the ball in a pinball machine.

This is right. Sometimes you have to bully the bully and give them a good taste of their own medicine.

TempoShaman

TempoShaman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The higher the stakes the quicker you get your ass handed to you. I've found that out the hard way :(

truth. always think your gonna come out on top playing mid-larger stakes, and the reality is a need for structural game

D

Dagano

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is right. Sometimes you have to bully the bully and give them a good taste of their own medicine.

:) I like it, also position helps too, when we decide bully the bully...

BigJamo

BigJamo

Aussie Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is an awesome read ... Thanks to everyone's for their valuable comments. Forever learning.

itsmebobd

itsmebobd

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not a great poker player first and foremost, but I am having a huge problem.

I play microstakes .02/.05 cent games just to practice at the most novice level possible. I was getting pretty good at this level.

I would read off how loose or tight players are for hand range, I play position, I only Cbet the players who I seen fold on the flop frequently etc. The basics.

So naturally I decided I wanted to play .05/.10 cent games.
AND what a jump in skill level. I can't imagine what higher stakes are like.

I don't know what to do. It's like I might as well go all in with KQ anytime I get raised because of how aggressive these guys are.

Say I'm under the gun and I raise with KQ suited. It seems like anytime I do that, someones gonna re-pop me. Okay I call, because it feels pretty standard to get reraised.

Then the flop comes. 2-7-9, it feels like I have to continuation bet because if I don't he will. And a lot of these guys are c-betting pot sized bets.

SO I bet and given a board like that and me raising out of position preflop, he knows I probably didn't hit so he's gonna 3 bet me.

Most of the time if I have an ACE here I'm gonna call because with a board like that I know he can't have squat either right?

What I'm asking, it at these levels when do you give up a hand, and still get to be profitable?

Because if I'm getting bluffed out of every other flop where I don't connect, then it feels like I'm in trouble.
And most of the time I'm right and they ride it with me all the way down to the river and they catch a 10 or something.

It makes me sick.

Ok so from what I'm comprehending, you are a NIT for the most part playing on pokerstars and have been losing $ out the big blind. I know this sounds so incredibly simple, and I am in no way a great player (esp online). I say tighten your range to much tigher in the SB and BB, Meaning calls 2-4 BB bets with sets, looking to set mine and extract value from it. Playing AK, and not AQ is a great way to start. Playing overpairs is a good way to get it in good for the most part. But at the end of the day, don't your poker instincts kick in and give you a good idea of when you should be in the hand, and when not? Heck a lot of my live play success is solely based on my ability to read my opponents and position. I get called a DONK and such by some of the nits, but its amazing how their chips are always being shipped in my direction and not theirs, unless they suck out to a 3 outer or such. Anyhow bud, try tightening your range and focusing on position, and just flat out playing less hands in the BB. Hope this helps bud, if not, I am sorry for having failed to help! May the variance be with you, always :D

J

JamaicanKid

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
play solid and slowplay when u have big hands....

B

bnasp2

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know it does not sound brave, but my best move in such situations is to change the table. If there is some player you are not comfortable with, just look for better table, or at least better position.

In no way you could have him on your left. I also dont like having such player on button to steal my BBs. Best is 1st place on your right, or on 6 max opposite to you.

R

Randy Guys

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That is an important thing you have to know how to play against an aggressive player. Easy and the best way is don't get disturbed by his reaction. Try not to react to their aggressive behavior. You should adjust your own strategy depending on the player type because aggressive players most win the game in poker.

J

JamaicanKid

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
counter aggression with aggression......time to add 'check-raising' to your arsenal buddy.

G

Geldi

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
During the game, constantly meet aggressive players who always steal the blinds in the later stages of the game and you should not just give them, it is necessary to protect them.

veronica

veronica

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think there are times that we can take advantage of aggressive players.. and sometimes make us retreat... but the position plays an essential role...must watch but not always going to have the best hand.

H

hitides

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Let their aggressiveness be there down fall. Patience Tenacious Aggressive wins all the time!

G

Geldi

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you play with an aggressive player, you can not sit and wait for good cards, you just have to play as aggressively. It does not happen too often, and your opponents will immediately recognize that you have a good hand, if you wait for them all day long. At the same time, you can play well even with average cards. How and when the situation and depends on the characteristics of the enemy.

I

IsaPalacios

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you all so much for all of the advice! I'm going to have to go over it a couple times to really digest it all but this is all very good info!

W

weirdline

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
c-betting should not be automatic. c-betting too much is a leak. there is nothing wrong with declining to c-bet and then folding to your opponent's bet. since you should be doing that with many of your hands when you completely miss the flop, you can balance your range out by also checking your sets. and you can check some of your strong draws as well. you will be intending to check raise your sets for value and check raise your best draws as a bluff.

that is a bit of an oversimplification, because different board textures will change things... but it's a good starting point.

but if you have nothing, and your opponent doesn't seem to instafold to your c-bets, you can just check-fold. that's fine. the easiest way to handle aggression is to have better hands than your aggressive opponents.

K

Karametric

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As other have started KQ is not a good had to open UTG.

I've had this problem too. Betting all the way to all-in or large sums, knowing, yes knowing they haven't connected anything with the flop because you have them pretty accurately on a range, and them staying in and rivering something. Happened to me today as a matter of fact, but really at the end of the day it's my fault for putting so many chips in with such marginal holdings.

Figuring out what to do takes a little bit of time looking at their style. How often do they float of 3 bet a cbet/donk bet. how often would they do this on the turn if you tried again?

But in this case, with aggressive crazy people who won't get off a hand, tag the person as such, and when they are in the hand just wait until you have something scary, and let them bet all their money to you. but only them, not the rest of the table. Which also makes it very hard for the villain to catch on to. They see you playing a good amount of hands, not realizing, unless they are fairly perceptive (and most aren't), that you are waiting for the right opportunity with them.

solargarlic

solargarlic

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow after reading this post I realized I started out way above my limits no wonder I have had mixed results. I have learned a lot playing at the wrong levels but it has cost me a lot. Hopefully as I am beginning to see after joining this forum my game will improve lots. Perhaps someday I will be closer to where I want to be in poker. Thanks for the post it and it's replies opened my eyes. I want to correct the mistakes of the past and keep everyone posted on my results.

Sil3ntness

Sil3ntness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when u have aggresive player on table just change table thats all

When I have a really aggressive player at the table, I don't change tables... I change my play style. I adapt to exploit their aggressiveness. They're not getting premium hands every time so you can take advantage of this. This is especially true when you have position on the aggressor.

Mark Gavr

Mark Gavr

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if your opponent has a good hand and plays hard, then it is not your strong hand is not a bluff not scary