How to control jealousy and frustration over others winning a pot?

Spaceman

Spaceman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In poker there is a special term for that. Its called tilt.

You definately play above your level and it would be prudent to play the minimum buyins when you are new to poker.

Now, if you are jealous when others win the pot, I wouldnt want to be you, when I fold a hand only to see a flop that would give me the nuts, and all the remaining players in the pot betting big and calling big!:hmpf::hmpf::hmpf:

P

PKRNRS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Where do you play? I need to sit at your table...

WabiSabi

WabiSabi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With a $100 br you should be playng 5nl at the most which is still only 20 buy ins.I find tilt occurs far more when your playing under rolled and cant afford to take losses even in smaller pots let alone stack sized pot's.

bruno13xs

bruno13xs

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
kkkk, when it happens to me I'm tiltado taking me drink a water and back to the game

R

RUNONWON09

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Listen, you gotta look at poker as one long session.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
If you are new to poker, you should be playing freerolls and maybe 1cent-2cent cash tables. Playing $1-$3 offers you no extra benefit, you are just losing more money for no reason.

If you are new to poker & after 10 days haven't read the above response & thanked him for some really good advice, hope to see you at the tables afore you go totally broke, blame it on rigged poker sites & give up the game.

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
I like the orange writing
Haven't you heard, Orange is in this season, look at the Whitehouse.

I liked the new to poker and diving into $30nl cash games attitude. :nurse:Who needs $2nl

;)

In poker there is a special term for that. Its called tilt.

You definately play above your level and it would be prudent to play the minimum buyins when you are new to poker.

Now, if you are jealous when others win the pot, I wouldnt want to be you, when I fold a hand only to see a flop that would give me the nuts, and all the remaining players in the pot betting big and calling big!:hmpf::hmpf::hmpf:
In this case it is not tilt, it is total inexperience and playing above ability.

:top:

Last edited:
Vilgeoforc

Vilgeoforc

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is a game of patience.
bluffing also annoys me and I'm angry with this player. Sometimes I lose because of this, but more often I pull myself together.
Think about it like this: "Guy, you took my money with a pacifier, but next time I'll show you the nuts and you'll give me everything with interest." After 10 minutes "
* This will extinguish your anger, you will calm down and will play your game.

UberRogue

UberRogue

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I talk to the screen. I played the play money games for so long and seen the crazy calls/raises so many times that it doesn't bother me when I see it happen on a cash game which is not often.

When I am losing and scratch my head as to why then review the hand and post the hand and ask what you did wrong.

Example in one session I had 10,10 cracked followed by JJ followed by QQ, followed by KK the other night. I stopped playing and looked at the hand and couldn't figure out what I could have done differently. So I posted all 4 hands. The advice I got was good advice and last night.I had 10 10 and AA and won the pots.

I also read up on bankroll management.

Now when I am talking to my screen it is normally because of the flop after I fold. Last night my daughter thought I was crazy because I folded a K2o and the flop was KKK.

One other thing I keep in the back of my mind esecially when I have monster hands are KK is still just a pair and can be beaten with 222.

Last edited:
Ledenev_Russ

Ledenev_Russ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Нет, я никогда не завидую, теперь ему повезло, и когда-нибудь мне повезет!

Ragequit

Ragequit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Agree with what the others have said here. Your biggest issue here is Bankroll management. The guideline bankroll for Cash is at least 20 Buyins for your current Limit. So the minimum amount you should have for $1.50/$3.00 is (20 x $300) = $6000. Otherwise lost pots will seem very extreme to you. What you experienced is actually normal variance, you're just playing way outside of your limit. Add up how much money you have left, and divide that number by 20. Say you have $100 left, then your table max is $5. So you should play at NL5 which has blinds of $0.02/$0.05. If you have less than $100 then play at NL2 ($2 Table max, $0.01/$0.02 blinds). Grind until you reach $200 and then you will have enough to move up to NL10, and just keep going. R

L

laimisj

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well I only get frustrated when I am playing with too much money, basically build a bankroll in lower stakes, build a bankroll big enough to make you feel comfortable losing money.

C

CryptoBlood

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I just wait good hands and then other players are jelaous.

steve22055

steve22055

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are new to poker, I would play on-line at much smaller buy-ins. $100 buy-ins is pretty steep for a new player. Learn the game when not risking so much and read some articles about bank roll management and reading your opponents. Is some ways, you've already answered your own question.... You said "I keep my cool and play correctly, but suddenly, when someone tries to bluff when there's a big pot, even though, i have no good hand, just a high card, i feel tempted to put more money out of anger. This spikes in anger is making me loose." Repeating the same behavior is not going to change the outcome. Learn from your mistakes but do it at lower stakes.

L

LoveNelly

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Try to play at lo stakes for first because it`s a different mentality..At buy-ins 1/2cents players are more favorable to call almost everytime..at big stackes you will front regular players who are thinking about ranges,probability,that players who are using mats to succes. Dont throw all in with a low hand,even the pot is really attractive and you hope your "ennemy" is just bluffing,low chance to win that. Try to descipline your self. I did that by repeating in my mind "Don`t do that,remember the last time when you played like this and ruin your whole bankroll,better fold"

E

Elvis

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just try to focus on your game and don't tilt you seem to tilt a lot and try to play games that you feel comfortable and you're good.You can play sit n go's or tournaments which you will decide how money you would play,it's better than cash games where you could lose all your money in just on pot.

henriquemaduro

henriquemaduro

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Dont change your game, keep playing it, in long time u will be rewarded.

Peppinotom

Peppinotom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For starting: Being new at poker and starting with cash cames was your biggest mistake.
There are guys with decades of experience earning their living there. And THEY know exactly what they are doing. They are waiting every single day for guys like you to raise their profit. You should start with lower buy-ins, maybe SnG's to have a fixed cost (or loss amount) and you should play the same SnG (or MTT) 100 times. So with 100$ you may play 1$ tournaments.

S

spottedflyer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
as a new plyer try playing some sall tourneys first to get the hang of it. you let your emotions get the best of you, you shouldnt be controlling jealousy, you should have none of it

R

RUNONWON09

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Remember, it's about making the right decision. Not makes and misses.

R

RUNONWON09

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree. If the loss of money effects your thought process to ultimately make the right move, you're in trouble. Go find a smaller game.

supernuts25

supernuts25

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think you ought to work on your self a little then work on your poker , don't worry so much on the pots others win or if you cant take one down, and just keep on playing a solid game your turn will come around, and while you wait for it, keep your losses at a minimum , good luck