Help with Heads Up play

Shady Vision

Shady Vision

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok, so after playing about 100 tourneys or so I've narrowed down my biggest weakness to be heads up play. Up until that point I've got a strong gameplan that lands me ITM most of the time, but I've got way more 2nd place finishes than 1st place finishes.

What I'm looking for is any articles, books, or personal guidelines for a heads up strategy. Preferrably something with advice for the different playing styles that I may be facing.

Searched the forum and couldn't find anything relevant to heads up play, so please help me out here.

OFF TOPIC: Also, what is "M" all about? I've seen it discussed on here, but I don't have a clue what it is.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Heads up is all about aggression. Here is a post I made that I don't want to repeat, from a different thread about HU play:
https://www.cardschat.com/forum/poker-rooms-10/heads-up-70448/post-419108

In regards to the opponents you'll be up against, you're essentially playing just like you would at a full table: tight against loose players, and loose against tight players.
Of course by 'tight', I don't mean wait for premium hands, but you should be pushing back with aces, any two paint cards, or pocket pairs if your opponent is a loosey-goosey type.
When you're playing a tight or passive player, you want to be stealing from the button almost all the time.

Not sure of any books about HU play; let me know if you find any ;)

M value: not sure what the "M" stands for, but your "M value" is the number of times your chip stack can survive a round of the blinds and antes at the level you're at.
So for a 2000 chip stack with blinds at 100/200, you have an M of 2000/(100+200)=2000/300=6.66

We've got plenty of great HU players on CC...I'm sure you can get better advice than what I just regurgitated