Heads Up: Opponent limps every hand - ??

Z

Zingmaster

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've run into a couple of players who will limp in on the button EVERY hand heads up in order to disguise their hand. Especially when stacks are deep. I don't enjoy getting ouplayed on the flop so I like to play agressive pre flop with a decent hand. these types of players always seem to trap me though.

Any tips on playing an opponent with this strategy, or if you like to use this strategy, how do you use it effectively?

G

GADAWG52

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Limpers

Based on position, don't let him limp in. Make him think how you will play instead of vise versa

U

uradonk406

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
strategy???

do you honestly believe there is a STRATEGY to playin poker????.....why when you and all the rest of us get donked out daily..... on the net there is no strategis way to play...everytime im in a hand someone does the old push and pray ........and they catch usually on the river....so to sum it up.....Push and Pray is the strategy

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
do you honestly believe there is a STRATEGY to playin poker????.....why when you and all the rest of us get donked out daily..... on the net there is no strategis way to play...everytime im in a hand someone does the old push and pray ........and they catch usually on the river....so to sum it up.....Push and Pray is the strategy

your username is strangely appropriate.

OP, test the waters. Raise his limps with some marginal hands and see what happens - if he habitually limp-calls then back off, see some free flops and concentrate on raising and playing bigger pots while you're in position. If he limp-folds often, continue abusing him with marginal hands.

Sometimes when HU with 20BB stacks you will flop TPTK and villain will have an overpair or something. It happens, there's not a lot you can do about it.

Lemlywinks

Lemlywinks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes. Position is very important HU. Obviously some of these people are making stuff up (push and pray won't get you very far...) but I like what Dorkus said.
Test the waters. Don't let him limp in when you have position. But also don't let him see a free flop when you have a hand OOP. HU for me is just a "feel" match. Everyone of your opponents will play to their own style, and you just have to adapt to it

Z

Zingmaster

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
thanks for the input. Testing the waters is about all you can do. . . because any pair is usually good HU seeing as many flops as possible is a decent strategy.

W

wasda

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If my opponent is limping every time, I will try and punish their weakness. In a SNG, I will start to raise more from The BB, and Raise from the SB to stop them getting in cheap.However in a cash game, I will probablly slow down and try to only raise from the SB, and try to out play him on the flop. I think limping is a very weak stratergy if you use it too much. Also if he is calling you every time you raise, you probally want to slow down.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands