Is he a fish....or a shark in disguise?

I

InLecture9

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i apologize if i missed it (didnt read in depth every post) but i need to add my 2 cents...

1) DO NOT try to modify your play style to this loose as hell style, it does not work and will harm you in the long run... when these 80% VPIP players run hot, they break even, when they run cold, they loose every hand...

2) The way to break these players is VERY simple... do not try to min-raise to isolate, you already know they arent folding anything, so essentially all you are doing is putting more of your money in danger before knowing the strength of your hand after the flop... of course this has exceptions with AA/KK etc... but in the long run it is more reasonable to no build the pot for these people, but instead extract value from them post flop... with AA, if they call everything, just shove on them if you know they are loose enough to call...

These people are easy to play, but instead of thinking strength = strength you have to let these people hang themselves, hit a big flop and extract value...

S

swingro

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I sometimes play with ppl like those. Best strategy i found is to just leave the table . :D I do no think u had a great learning experience. He was on a lucky strike like we all have from time to time. U can now just watch again those hands and see if he was a good player or not if he squezzed the maximum amount of money from u with his winning hands. If not ... he was a fish.

S

Skidmark

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
THEY WERENT!!! He was limping in and calling EVERY preflop raise to see a flop!!

I initially identified him as a fish so I min raised almost every flop to isolate him with me since he was on my right so either I wasnt raising enough (probably). But he was gonna call a 3bb raise if called every 2bb raise thats for certain.

I also didnt know how to exploit this particular kind of situation as iv never seen this before.

Either way great learning experience

too easy. why not just raise big preflop with big hands. You dont have to open to 3bbs or whatever your standart is everytime (min raising even worse imo). just open 6,7,9,11 whatever bbs with good hands, he is calling anyways. 3bet bigger etc. widen ur 3bet range to top %20 in position. and lower ur preflop bluffing range. dont forget that since his preflop ranges are very wide, he is weak post flop dont be afraid to bluff him off, he is going to fold.

D

davem86

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
sounds to me like he previoulsy was dealing with weird hands in higher stakes and maybe moved down

F

fighter

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What is a fish?
A fish is someone who does not play optimally.

Your villain in the OP is currently playing more hand then GTO and as such open to being exploited.

If you can't exploit him and he is winning more pots then what he would if he was playing GTO, then you are the weak player and he is the good player.

Elie_Yammine

Elie_Yammine

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play on micro tables often so i see these a lot and I know he's not a shark in disguise! He's a very LAG player who is on a winning streak and needs to be calmed down and milked good...
How do you do that?You try your aces or kings a second time, or you wait until you have the nuts post-flop and you shove all in as you can be sure he's gonna call...He's not gonna keep getting lucky and you are going to win much thanks to him!

S

Skidmark

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
very wrong imo. being loose pre doesnt mean that he will be loose post flop. most likel they opposite, since his range is very wide he will be weak post flop most of time he will very rarely call if you shove post when u have the nuts.