• Total voters
dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of late I have been shying away from giving shortstack any of my chips in speculative situations. I know conventional wisdom might be to call the cheaper instances of a shortstack shove. My thinking, since this usually happens late, and results are magnified, is that I want to at least keep shortstack short as long as possible. So as villain in the BB, I might very well, in this case, fold even something like AK, or AQ to a shortstack shove. The AK easier here to muck than the AQ.

Keeping the shortstack short might be a good topic to explore.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why would we want to keep the shortstack short?

B

Bentheman87

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Btw, this is a ring game right? I think it's better to take more coinflips and tossups in a ring game than in a tournament, so I think I'd be more inclined to bet if this hand is a ring game hand instead of a tournament hand. Remember, even if he does have some good draws like a straight draw and a flush draw, it's possible the turn and river could both be blanks and we can win with TPTK.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
200nl = ring game

It's all about equities in rings. We exploit any edge we have unless further metagame/strategic reasoning tells us we should do something else (like check here).

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When we're at only 20BB we welcome calls from drawing hands. We're not trying to push them away by overbetting the pot on the flop. If we pot the flop and get called (pot = 22.5BB) our decision on the turn is made regardless of what card hits the board. At that point we only have to put in 9BB (the remainder of our stack) for a chance to win 22.5BB. Easy call or push.

If you read Professional No Limit Hold'em it talks a lot about SPR (stack-to-pot ratios). It tells us that TP or overpair hands fear the number 13 for an SPR (the exact number Chuck gave us in the 100BB example is 13.33) and perform well with an SPR of 4 (for most opponents). It the 20BB example our SPR is 2.2 and we should be willing to commit any time the flop hits us.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands