gonna make the jump from 2nl to 5nl.... comments?

RogueRivered

RogueRivered

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Way to conservative, way to be at 2nl for the rest of your life. 20 buys is a fine time to take a shot.

I can't agree with that. The idea of "taking shots" just has to be wrong. You are either bankrolled for your current game or you're not. Taking a shot almost implies that you don't think you'll make it. Wait until you can afford and then play without fear of having to go back down. If you really do need to go back down, you will find out soon enough.

It took me like a month, maybe two to be properly rolled for 5nl before I left 2nl. That's hardly the rest of your life.

I totally agree.
Any BRM post I've read says 30 average for cash

It doesn't matter what you read, it's how you feel about it personally. If you feel completely confident at 30, then why not? But if you are a bit scared that you are going to have move down soon because you lose a couple of buy-ins, then it's too soon. Personally, I always waited until I had a 100 buy-ins at the next level. And again, it was only a month or two between each level. I didn't make it past 10nl because Stars got shut down for Americans.

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is fine to take a shot, if...!!! you are on your games. Taking a shot - the way I understand it - is moving up when your BR is at the minimum BI amount or less that is suggested in BRM related articles. If you feel on your game, this is fine, but you have to be ready to stop-loss at any time.

Simply moving up because you have the minimum suggested BR is not a reason to move up. (Not saying you are doing this OP, just in general, as some comments here are vague about this).

You should not play out of your comfort zone. You need to be ready to make moves, call down, 3/4/5bet, fold when you know you have been outdrawn etc. The stakes you play should not influence your decision making process, except that you may need to adjust to certain things when you move up. If you move up and start to play scared, or differently than you think you should because of the stakes, then your BR needs to be bigger to allow you to take the risk you need in order to make the correct move at the right time.

Having said that, I know that there are different dynamics at different stakes, so you do need a period of adjustment.

TimovieMan

TimovieMan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can't agree with that. The idea of "taking shots" just has to be wrong. You are either bankrolled for your current game or you're not. Taking a shot almost implies that you don't think you'll make it. Wait until you can afford and then play without fear of having to go back down. If you really do need to go back down, you will find out soon enough.
Taking a shot means you want to move up fast, so you try with 5 BIs, hoping to get rungood and being able to stay.
It's a more aggressive approach that will see you drop down again sooner, but that gets you in the higher stakes faster. Plus it's a good way to find out if you think you'll be able to beat those particular stakes and to get a feel for the difference in bet sizes / stake dynamics.

But if you are a bit scared that you are going to have move down soon because you lose a couple of buy-ins, then it's too soon.
If you're scared of dropping back down again, then I agree that you shouldn't use an aggressive approach. If you're NOT afraid of moving back down, then shot-taking is the fastest way to move up.

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Could be difficult to move up if you are too conservative.IMO 25 buy-in is fine but drop down when you fell below 20.Its got to do with your skill level also.

D

Dan Lucas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is fine to take a shot, if...!!! you are on your games. Taking a shot - the way I understand it - is moving up when your BR is at the minimum BI amount or less that is suggested in BRM related articles. If you feel on your game, this is fine, but you have to be ready to stop-loss at any time.

Simply moving up because you have the minimum suggested BR is not a reason to move up. (Not saying you are doing this OP, just in general, as some comments here are vague about this).

You should not play out of your comfort zone. You need to be ready to make moves, call down, 3/4/5bet, fold when you know you have been outdrawn etc. The stakes you play should not influence your decision making process, except that you may need to adjust to certain things when you move up. If you move up and start to play scared, or differently than you think you should because of the stakes, then your BR needs to be bigger to allow you to take the risk you need in order to make the correct move at the right time.

Having said that, I know that there are different dynamics at different stakes, so you do need a period of adjustment.

This is great advice. The part about comfort zones hits the nail on the head. You can't change your strategies just because the stakes are higher. Biggest mistake I made was to get greedy, and overplay big hands because I couldn't believe I would be so unlucky to run into a bigger hand. Play your game, not theirs.

J

jsh169

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my experience, major skill level improvements at 50, 200, and then 400nl. Any higher than that I haven't played well I guess 500 on Carbon, but same thing. This game is all about not making critical mistakes, that is really the main difference I see from the micro limits to like 200nl, of course aggression goes up too, but people aren't stacking off with top pair anymore.