getting rivered after flopping a set vs 2 Vs

G

Gorblimey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
$5-$10 NLH. Full table. CO 3-bets UTG raiser and Hero on button calls with 88. Flop is :7h4::8d4::jh4: Hero bets half the pot-all call. Turn is :3c4: and Hero again bets half the pot-called by the 3-bettor. Naturally the :qh4: gets there on the river. Should Hero bet the pot on the flop and bigger on the turn since there are two villains or was H just a hapless suck out victim? At the beginning of the hand, my effective stack was 80 bbs and both Vs had me well covered. Luckily, Hero remembered to check through on the river.

Last edited:
F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would have folded preflop. If you never cold call a 3-bet, that is almost certainly not going to be a leak, and 88 is not a hand, I would want to cold 4-bet. Postflop depends on the stack to pot ratio (SPR). It SPR was low enough, I might make it a 2 street hand, and a wet board like this could certainly be good for a large bet size on the flop like 65-75% pot and then jam the turn. If stacks were deep however, then you can not really do that, and if they make a flush or straight on the river, it just is, what it is.

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Cold calling a 3-bet with 88, considering the opener of the hand was UTG is honestly a marginal decision IMO. If we consider calling that way, it's because we don't believe in CO action (he has a lot of bluffs in his range) and also because we think (in an optimistic scenario) that we are in a coin flip against the UTG opener. In this case, we should avoid the flip, and look for the fold equity of the villains, doing a 4-bet / jam as a semi bluff.
If we do not think that UTG and CO have significant interferences in their ranges of aggression (which is something favorable for hero), my recommendation is to fold preflop with 88. Since when calling cold, we will find ourselves dominated in range, most of the time. As a consequence of the insufficient implicit probability that we have, to improve our hand in postflop.
Therefore, this is an avoidable scenario. The key is to avoid cold calls, unless we have a monster played slow preflop, because we have the image of UTG as a NIT player, who will fold his hand 100% after our call. But even in that case, I consider better go w/4-bet / jam, since the duel will be CO vs BTN.
Greetings.

G

Gorblimey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Facing two players, I should've jammed on the flop with likely the best hand after it was checked to me. By betting half pot each time, I was inducing draws to come along for a cheap price-something to avoid. However, I talked myself into the pre-flop call because the CO has a history of taking shots with any hand that has good potential. Didn't rally have a good read on the raiser. I think Jack Strauss would have called too but played the hand much differently. Who knows if Villain folds for another 40bbs with a 12 outer?