Folding KK pre flop at the micros.

-Phil Ivey27

-Phil Ivey27

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can fold KK to a 4 VPIP/4 PFR in the micors maybe..

Actually no, shove everytime :D

Very few exceptions, maybe if there's some all-ins ahead of you and their all major nits.. Even then idk, just dont fold Kings man people do this shit with QQ/AK all the time.

C

chris808

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1 in about 29 times you will run in to aces at a 9 seat table so about 1 in 40 for 6 max I guess.

micromachine

micromachine

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can fold KK to a 4 VPIP/4 PFR in the micors maybe..

Actually no, shove everytime :D

I 3bet KK at 5NL the other day and a 4/4 (100 hands) ubernit paused for an unnaturally long time then shoved. I knew he was going to have AA.....called it anyway though and lost.

Maybe a suspicious shove from a real nit is a situation when you can fold KK.

J

J_moly88

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I suppose to fold KK if you have suspicions of your opponent holding AA is fine, as long as you are right about your suspicions a higher percentage of the time, which in turn may be more of a gamble than just calling in the first place.

T

thejudge

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If u are gonna fold KK pre flop then u might as well give up poker.

B

Big_Rudy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If u are gonna fold KK pre flop then u might as well give up poker.

Exactly. If you're not playing K-K pre-flop what are you playing? Might as well start folding A-A pre-flop, face-up, just so the table starts giving you some respect:D .

F

filiprei

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Actually there is a time to fold KK, if a solid tight player raises then gets reraised all in by another tight player. If you are sure both of them are tight you should fold. I learned this from Jonathan Little in his set of 50 preflop hands. I find this to be a very marginal move and unless non of the tight players were under any pressure and you are under no pressure you should definitely try to get as much in the middle as possible. I won't fold KK ever, because I don't play at a level were this is applicable and people are generally loose in low stakes.

B

bnasp2

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Answer is really easy.
Never fold KK preflop on micro stakes.
(on higher stakes it might be good move in very few situations, maybe so few you dont need to worry about it).

You might fold it sometimes at tournaments, at bubble. But even there you mostly want to go all-in preflop.

BvBrMTW

BvBrMTW

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Indeed never fold them 100BB deep,
BUT on the deep-stack tables you should actually fold sometimes (or at least flat pre at some point) I have played a decent amount of hands on these tables (25nl) and I've NEVER seen anyone going all-in with less than KK pre-flop who had at least the max. buyin (250BB),
So indeed, always get it in pre-flop, unless you're playing deep-stacked tables vs regulars, you might want to avoid it there.

P

PrsHarlequin

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
FYP. Folding K-K pre in the micros? Never. Be happy to get as much in the middle pre-flop as you can. Yes, you will occassionally run into A-A, but that is evened-out by the times you are on the other end of that equation and your A-A stacks someone else's K-K. Your real value here comes from all the other times where you are far, far ahead of villain's range. In my experience many micro players, especially at the lower end of the micros, are more than happy to stack-off pre-flop significantly wider than the range you've assigned them of Q-Q+, A-Ks.

+1

K

kworm2013

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think fold KK is good.Even more than 5 people all in.Most time you will regret.

RodneyC86

RodneyC86

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think fold KK is good.Even more than 5 people all in.Most time you will regret.

Incidentallyc I think if a 5way all in happens, which will only ever happen in 2nl, your KK becomes A LOT stronger, a lot of fishes loving to shove ace-face and smaller pairs and since the ace faces block each other lol your KK suddenly becomes gold.:D

K

kworm2013

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Incidentallyc I think if a 5way all in happens, which will only ever happen in 2nl, your KK becomes A LOT stronger, a lot of fishes loving to shove ace-face and smaller pairs and since the ace faces block each other lol your KK suddenly becomes gold.:D
1.KK vs AA are events with very low probabilities.
2.KK vs AA have 17-18% probability to win.

Rldetheflop

Rldetheflop

Head Ranger
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Answer is really easy.
Never fold KK preflop on micro stakes.
(on higher stakes it might be good move in very few situations, maybe so few you dont need to worry about it).

You might fold it sometimes at tournaments, at bubble. But even there you mostly want to go all-in preflop.

We don't generally fold premiums just to bubble.

D

DunningKruger

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We don't generally fold premiums just to bubble.

Indeed. My ICM is a little rusty these days (I'm a cash player at heart) but if you're folding kings pre mid/late game then there's a really good chance you're doing it wrong.

Folding in Poker