Flopping 2 Pair

K

kiznik

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
How does everyone play this type of hand?

You have 89. 3-5 players see the flop. The pot is 3-5x the big blind, or 6-10x the big blind (a small raise preflop).

The flop comes 89K.

This has happens to me semi regularly because I play connectors if I can. Now, I propose to play this as if you were chasing with J10, or 67 (it already looks like you might be drawing because of what happened preflop)

Is this a good idea? I say yes because if you can make it look like your drawing, with the obvious draw out there, you'll probably get a big raise from someone with AA, AK, QQ, AJ, A10 trying to push you out. What you may need to worry about is K8 or K9, (although I would fold those hands with a raise preflop if I didnt have any position). If you play it like your drawing, you have to worry about someone making a flush draw (if it's not a rainbow flop).
So basically, I'd check after the flop, call or check on 4th st, and then when 5th hits, if there's not an obvious made draw, you'll probably get a raise from AA, AK, QQ, AJ, A10. Depending on how many people are still in, you might consider if someone has trips or the flush (if someone calls the big raise before it gets to you). The most likely outcome is that top pair will big raise you and try to push your "draw" out, the real draws will fold out, and you push all in. Now the top pair is confused and probably thinks your trying to buy it. So he calls and you double up.

Please criticize this, I don't know if I know what I'm talking about or not.

J

jdecost1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with you I think i would bet the blind in the situation, it happens regularly, when someone bets the blind i usually put them on mid pair or a draw, and if they have a king hopefully they will raise you, and you will be on top.

:beer: jdecost1

bpazjr13

bpazjr13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
first, i would only play 89 offsuit when i have position or can limp in the blinds and if 5 ppl are in the pot you are probably going to lose if you dont catch your boat and even then you might get spanked by K's over boat....id play very very slow just like you said.. but id fold to any bet more than pot probably

Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
:dito: , sort of. Gotta go with bpazjr13 on this one.

There is definitely a lot more to consider. Is this limit or no limit? What position are you in and how is that compared to the other players. Blah, blah, insert all of the common think tank questions here. :)

Unfortunately there is no one way to play any one hand. It is always situational.:icon_clow

C

chicubs1616

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
89 is a very good hand to play in a large multi-way pot (5+ players to the flop) if you can see a flop cheaply.

If you flop two pair here, I would make a nice-sized bet on the flop. If an opponent has a King, he will call. If he has a drawing hand like J-10 or something like A9, you want to push them out of the pot.

Don't let players on draws hang around because what if a 7 or Q hits on 4th street? Also, if an ace or other paint card hits, you also might now be in trouble. I would normally put out a good half-pot sized bet or maybe even a two-thirds pot bet here.

M

mythicshog

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The worst thing you can do is slowplay a flopped two pair, especially if it's not top two. Always bet strong once you hit two pair, because it is not a very strong hand at all. I get beat so many times by underbetting my two pair, and inevitably, someone else catches something better than my hand. In conclusion, bet hard with two pair, but look out and know when to fold em.

N

nakedmexican

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
flopping two pair is usually good...... but you have to look at the possability of another peorson floppin a higher two pair or draws that can beat you. never see your hand and think its good enough to not care about other players cards.. this wont work

T

tigilles

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It also depend of who is still on the pot.

tigilles

katymaty

katymaty

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
2 pairs

i usually put a small bet in if theres a few people in the hand and if someone goes all in ill probably call. if theres 2 of one suit on the hand and it goes to the turn and thers no flush draw on or an obvious straight ill put a bigger raise in and hope the 3rd suit doesnt come up.

ive lost a few times when somebody catches a flush on the river. if its 3 different suits on the flop u can play it slowly but if 2 suits are there its probably best to raise it a bit more.

katy:icon_stud

J

juniorjohn

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i will usally take whtimats in there with 2 pair and go all in . sometimes trips get you and sometimes they wont but that is how i play them

H

hotrod13

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Since we are on the subject of 2 pair

I have on two occasions been yelled at for playing 2 pair. The situation is both times I flopped 2 pairs with the board showing a flush. Both times the bettor made minimum bets and I called, figuring they where on a flush draw. I boated out and won some major chips on both instances when they flushed out. My opnion on this if they would of bet more I know I would of got out, but both times the minimum, then when I boated I raised and they called, and both of them said I played the hand wrong. I was wondering if I am playing them right or wrong?

Thanks,
hotrod13

K

krumz06

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in the first place, i wouldnt be playing this type of hand unless i was in big blind and could just check or i could limp in from small blind. then if i hit 2 pair, i would place a feeler bet out there to see where i was in the hand. if i get raised, the i re-raise all-in.

K

kcns05

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
This is one of those real tricky hands that you can end up crippling yourself with if you aren't careful, you just gotta be good at putting people on hands. Depending on your chipstack, i would make a pretty large bet but be wary of anyone that raises.