Fixed Limit Preflop Raising Help.

PRLJAM FAN

PRLJAM FAN

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi everyone,

I was just after some advise on preflop raising in respect to fixed limit Hold Em' which is what I mostly play. I don't normally do alot of it, usually just when I have AA KK, QQ or AK. The reason I do'nt really do it with other high starting hands eg. AQ, AJ etc is due to the fact that it is only costing the other players one more bet to see the flop, unlike no limit which could be several times the small bet.Because of this factor alot of the other players at the table don't mind paying that extra bet to see the flop and after the flop comes I only make my hand 1 out of 3 times and i'm left think "man, I should have just called".
I would appreciate any insights you guys may have, as I know I should be raising more.

F Paulsson

F Paulsson

euro love
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Let's, for the sake of argument, say that your hand is the best preflop. AQ, for instance, could very well be the best hand. Three other players see the flop, and the equity ("chance to win when all the cards are out") preflop could be distributed like this, for example:

You (AQ): 34%
Player1-3: 22% (an average)

For every bet that goes in, you expect to win back 34%. expected value of limping preflop:

34% of four bets (four players see a flop): 0.34 * 4 - 1 = 0.36

Expected value of raising preflop:

34% of eight bets (four players see a flop): 0.34 * 8 - 2 = 0.72

You raise before the flop for value. You will only "hit" the flop once every three times, but that holds true for your opposition as well. You raise because you will win back more than you invest.