First real downswing - micros

S

Spewster

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Things are leveling out, not as bad as they were before for sure but not quite as bad. Things are progressing but overall i think the more you play at micros the more you get used to the ups and downs. As one could imagine they are much more extreme at the lower stakes

I don't know which one it was, but I once watched a video of a guy on a bankroll challenge and he said "just because you are playing on a lower limit doesn't automatically mean you'll have a winning session"

People on higher limits play much more strategically thus they think people on lower limits do so as well, but that's not true. Low limit players are mostly about TPTK, especially in 6Max. They have no idea about board texture and when to cbet or check.
Their hand ranges are very polarized and here you can find an edge.

I'm a 10NL regular now and here is what helped me the most:

1. Learn to play low variance instead of maximize winnings. It's better to have 5 winning sessions in a row than 2 losing sessions and one huge winning session. ower variance scales better and doesn't drain your emotional capital so much.

This means you are very picky with who you are going to play against at the table. If UTG opens, MP 3bets and I'm on the BTN with QQ, I fold. This may sound stupid at first, but you know how it goes. UTG has ATs, MP has TT, I shove and everyone calls. Board might show an Ace, a T or a flush. It's a gamble and high variance.

I prefer much more to constantly pressure this one guy who overfolds to my cbets, raises me from SB, when I'm the BB and doesn't understand that I have position on him, or any other obvious mistake. I play small/medium pots, take them to the flop and slaughter them there.

This is also the reason why I stopped 3betting AK in certain situations. Usually I 3bet, get a call, miss the flop and the other guy shoves on me. Again, gamble, high variance.

TL;DR: play smart redline poker and avoid showdowns untill you have trips/set or better.

2. Learn to make hero folds. As said, peoples ranges are extremely polarized in the micros, so they're almost face up. Calling is either TPsmall kicker or a draw. But beware of the raises. When you have air or TPTK and somebody raises, just fold, they have it.

Watch these, as they helped me a lot:

3. Spend a couple of bucks and get an AI trainer. Advancedpokertraining.com is probably the best money I've ever spend to get better at the game. You'll figure out your leaks in a week, no need to play 50k hands and lose until you find out why. You can isolate certain positions, hand types or situations and practise.
Want to play QJ from UTG 500 times in a row? Go ahead.

Escaping the Micros is really not too hard once you sit down and commit to learning.
Good luck, you'll make it.

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry to read about your bad luck streak.
PT4 should advise you of bank roll managment.
For sure about the biggest hole in your strategy.

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think you need to skip micros op but maybe try 5nl or 10nl if your rolled for it.And ye if you cant beat the worst players in the game at micros what chance at mid stakes where people have an understanding of the game ?.Losing 20 buy ins at 50nl certainly wont be cheaper for you in your learning experience.

T

thejuice1

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
like so many have said above, all you can do is 2 things really. take a break for a bit to rest, recalibrate, etc. and then 2nd, just continue to get your money in good.
if you do that, in the long run, youre going to make more than you lose.
don't let it get you down... if it does, then that's a sign telling you that you need to step a way for a while.