Discussion on rebuying the first hand in satelites Vs tournaments and ROI

M

mischman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In most rebuys you insta rebuy the first hand. theres not some long reason with a lot of big poker terms for this. Its the simple fact that if you dont rebuy the first hand, when you double up you will be at 3k. Where as if you rebuy the first hand, you will double up to $6k. Rebuys are played to be loose with a lot of gamble, but that isnt the topic of this.

In satelites you tend rebuy the first hand. Most satelites like the pokerstars $3R and $10R tend to have about a 1:12 where for every 12 entrants(or rebuys/addons) 1 person gets a seat. Most of these are Turbos in which case the blinds go up FAST and you need chips and should rebuy the first hand.

But what happens in smaller buy in/Ratio satelites. Today i played a $4 Rebuy Turbo satelite that if you won a seat you got to play a $55 tournament. After the rebuy period ended, it showed that the ratio was very small and for every 4 entrants 1 got a seat.

Should you rebuy the first hand? If you rebuy the first hand you will be in for $12(assuming you add-on and you should). If you go broke you will either be out of your 'buy in" or you can rebuy and re-rebuy in which case you will be in for $20. Since the Ratio is smaller and the buy in/rebuys are bigger to the tournament, does rebuying the first hand make them not profitable in the long run and screw your ROI up? Should you rebuy the first hand?

Last edited by a moderator:
mrsnake3695

mrsnake3695

I'm confused
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$4 rebuy for a $55 tournament is too small to even get involved with I think. Unless u try to play without rebuying and hope to get lucky and double or triple your chips and then add-on. Then it costs $9 to win $55 which is ok but any more than that i don't think is worth it.

J

joeeagles

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with mrsnake, that kind of rebuy tourney is probably not worth it. The only way is, as he suggested, not rebuying. This will though put you in great disadvantage because, as you explained, rebuys are played very loose until the add-on. So, to answer your question, when the ratio is smaller they are not profitable in the long run whether you rebuy the first hand or not, IMO. However, rebuying the first hand should be more profitable than not, since not rebuying is probably too big of a disadvantage to overcome.

Beavis68

Beavis68

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you play a big stack well, do it.

from a theoretical standpoint, any addon is worth something less than your first buy in (unless it is a winner take all). How ever, if you are a good chip mover, it is still +EV.

Flat payout tourneys like Sats it is less beneficial because extra chips dont win you any more, it is survival that counts.

Last edited:
crancko

crancko

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is Mischman meaning that the tournament he could go to is a 55 USD buyin? If so, the potential suddenly change and he could just be sitting with a bunch of tight gits where an aggressive rebuy strategy could do him very well.

Party has some 2 USD rebuy - addon tournaments with up to 10k guaranteed. In those i will ALWAYS play it more wild and loose than normal in the first hour, using the "Party Rebuy Trick" (limit myself to about 5-6 rebuys).

On the other hand, after discovering bodog (ta CC), i have tried their freerolls with rebuy. To my surprise those freerolls are played tighter than any other open freeroll i have experienced. No or very few maniacs, tighter play. So no rebuy or addon for me, just a very tight first hour, going on to second with the stack i accumulated by myself.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Let's take it to somewhat of an extreme and say you are playing some weird HU SNG which allows you to rebuy once at the start (but no rebuys subsequently).

- If you know your opponent is going to rebuy, do you rebuy? Why?

- If you know your opponent is not going to rebuy, do you rebuy? Why?

tosborn

tosborn

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Let's take it to somewhat of an extreme and say you are playing some weird HU SNG which allows you to rebuy once at the start (but no rebuys subsequently).

- If you know your opponent is going to rebuy, do you rebuy? Why?

- If you know your opponent is not going to rebuy, do you rebuy? Why?

Great post.

Obviously, yes to both. The first example I don't want my opponent to have an advantage. In the second example I want the advantage.

I am also taking for granted that the rebuy that I post is added to the prize money in the second example. If I am 2:1 chipstack, I fell like it would be safe to say that I would be better than 2:1 to win. Thus this is a profitable situation.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands