Difference between a good player and a pro is discipline?

I

Izaak

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been playing poker for about 2 years and have gone/ going through 2 MASSIVE losing streaks. The first one I experience i went from 300$ - 50$ in 2 months ( got to admit I wasn't half e player I am now when this happened but I can't stress enough my luck was ridiculous ). That was on full tilt poker. Since the sites been shut down I started on 888 poker. I actually started off great getting my free 8$ for signing up to the site up to 140$ in just 2 week using 1/20 of my bankroll on 1 cash game table starting of playing 1/2c stakes up to 60$ where I moved up to 3/6c. I play 6 tables at once. However in these past 5 days I've managed to lose 55$!!!! so I'm down on 85$. I can't stress enough how ridiculous my luck has changed. I can't connect with anything and when I do the guy just so happens to suck out or hit the nuts.

Here's my strategy. Since most players at these stakes are POWs and loose rarely aggressive ( if I spot a player who plays a bit difference obviously I try to adapt to his play yet it's hard to notice since playing 6 tables there isnt enough time). They rarely protect there average/ weak hands so I give them alot of credit when very raise meaning I'm very disciplined ( maybe sometimes abit too nitty.) they rarely bluff and since they play very weird I give them credit for what they are representing. Even though they play weird I am very confident with my reading skills working out what they probably have...

What do you think of my play? Do you see any leaks?

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Look at your stats over your losing streak and see if you're doing anything different. Check your all-in expected EV, if you're running absurdly below EV that could be the problem right there. If not, you're probably doing something wrong due to tilt or bad mindset, i.e. playing too many hands in the blinds, folding too many rivers in big pots, etc.

Also, if it's hard to notice someone playing differently than everyone else while 6-tabling, you should cut down on tables.

mrmonkey

mrmonkey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
From the way you are describing your strategy/play, it sounds like you are not using a HUD. If you are 6-tabling, a HUD will likely help your play and eliminate a lot of the guesswork from trying to figure out just how loose/passive your opponents are. The way you are playing, I think you may be giving some of your fishier opponents too much credit, and you may be losing value in some hands when you are smashing their range and not charging them the maximum.

I'd also say your bankroll management is a tad on the aggressive side... moving up with 10 buyins for the new level and losing half your roll can happen very easily. 5 buyins up or down while multitabling in one bad session is completely standard. Having two or three bad sessions in a row is also pretty common.

With an $85 bankroll, I'd actually suggest moving back down to 2nl until you get back over $100 -- and then move to 5nl. Personally, I find having at least a 20 buyin buffer for the next level a little more comforting, and dropping down if you go below 10 buyins.

3llit3

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes u need to have alot of luck on your side i been getting royal screwed in the last 3 weeks. Going in the favorite and loseing by a 1 outer. have to take the good with the bad. there is no such thing as strategy when u play with morons

mrmonkey

mrmonkey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
there is no such thing as strategy when u play with morons

Actually, there is. It's called basic strategy, and a fundamentally sound TAG game will typically give you a huge edge against moronic fish.

But just to put this out there, even Phil Ivey can be up against the most fish fish in the sea and still lose 3+ buyins in any given session.

There's never a 100% guarantee you'll win money in the end, but the more hands you play with a large edge against your opponents the more likely it is you will be extremely profitable in the long run.

Part of the difficulty in poker is in truly understanding how much of an edge you have against your opponents... or coming to terms with the fact that your opponents have an edge on you. This isn't just something as simple as saying "o i haz 10bb/100 winrate so I am teh nutsss". Going through sick heaters and sick coolers, some of which can last months at a time, and still keeping an objective view is what separates the average poker player from the lifetime profitable player.

Shwiggler

Shwiggler

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here's my strategy. Since most players at these stakes are POWs and loose rarely aggressive ( if I spot a player who plays a bit difference obviously I try to adapt to his play yet it's hard to notice since playing 6 tables there isnt enough time).

What do you think of my play? Do you see any leaks?

Yeah it sounds like you don't have a HUD. If not you should definitely get one. It will help in calling out your opponents when multi-tabling and allow you to track your own stats and figure out where your leaks are. I suggest Holdem Manager with the Leak Buster App. Really helped me hone in my game.

alaskabill

alaskabill

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Actually, there is. It's called basic strategy, and a fundamentally sound TAG game will typically give you a huge edge against moronic fish.

But just to put this out there, even Phil Ivey can be up against the fishiest fish in the sea and still lose 3+ buyins in any given session.

There's never a 100% guarantee you'll win money in the end, but the more hands you play with a large edge against your opponents the more likely it is you will be extremely profitable in the long run.

Part of the difficulty in poker is in truly understanding how much of an edge you have against your opponents... or coming to terms with the fact that your opponents have an edge on you. This isn't just something as simple as saying "o i haz 10bb/100 winrate so I am teh nutsss". Going through sick heaters and sick coolers, some of which can last months at a time, and still keeping an objective view is what separates the average poker player from the lifetime profitable player.

Mr Monkey, you are so right. I had to bump this so others could see what you wrote. Lots of wisdom here.