Defending the button

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ok, so i was playing a game last night, the player had told me that they were new to the game before it started. So as usual i stayed away from all but premium hand for a few orbits, just watching the play.

Something I noticed was the button was putting in no steals, EVER. Pre-flop raises with 2 callers being checked down. These guys were only playing top pair (kicker didnt enter the equation). Nor did slowplaying.

Defend the button ? BOY YEA ! It turned out to be like shooting fish in a barrel ! I called every raise on the button, and if it was checked to me, basically the pot was mine.

So what type of game should you defend the button with ? Is it worth it ? Any PP can raise, but any over-card can scare them, and thats what happened last night. I won that game within the hour.

nateofdeath

nateofdeath

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It certainly seems like the generic wisdom is that it's worth it. I think at least that you have to be careful not to over defend it, but playing position poker almost always pays in my opinion. And it seems to me that a tighter table image is going to help you steal pots. If your opponents realize that you're always playing this way, it doesn't seem to work as well, at least for me. it's generally a lot easier to dominate inexpirenced players though

I usually wouldn't reccomend calling a raise on the button with nothing just for the possibility of being able to bluff at the pot though.

-n

Last edited:
tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
nateofdeath said:
I think at least that you have to be careful not to over defend it

Excellent point, but I figure Nate that I pointed out the reasons that I defended it, in the game in question. Its a discussion point Nate, under what conditions do you never defend ANY position ?

From what ive seen playing poker (especially live games) over the last few months, a lot of players will call a raise out of the BB because they are defending their stake in the hand. But the same player will not defend the button. Its bad play and poor understanding of the game.

And Nate I think we need some basic discussion points on the site for a while.

nateofdeath

nateofdeath

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
tenbob said:
Excellent point, but I figure Nate that I pointed out the reasons that I defended it, in the game in question. Its a discussion point Nate, under what conditions do you never defend ANY position ?

From what ive seen playing poker (especially live games) over the last few months, a lot of players will call a raise out of the BB because they are defending their stake in the hand. But the same player will not defend the button. Its bad play and poor understanding of the game.

And Nate I think we need some basic discussion points on the site for a while.

i agree with you about discussion topics, just throwing my opinion out there.

and you make a good point about people defending their blinds, but not their button, which is generally not as smart of a play. but, in my expirence, when i call raises on the button, i'll often get bet into on the flop, so i try to be cautious and wait for good situations and signs of weakness, and not just defend the button as a matter of principle, but that's just me. I think you were right to play that game the way you did, though, especially since it was working.

-n

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Very true Nate, but the game in point was very weak passive game, with beginning players who were kinda out of their depth with 2 "good" players at the table.

Jees I wish i put a poll on this one. But anyway over defending the button is a huge mistake UNLESS the game calls for it. Never defend the button when a solid player raises or when you in an agressive game.

Sometimes poker is not about your cards, but about how you play. As I mentioned before I made the final table in a tournie in Dublin without coming to showdown once !

The point ? Again as far as im concerned while the luck aspect is important (read IrishDaves thread), table position and table image are MUCH MORE important.